Can not get OlyDbg debugger to work for MASM32 version 9

Started by etow, January 25, 2008, 03:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etow

Hi

I can not get OlyDbg debugger for MASM32 to work well.
I can not maually step into assembly code and manually step over assembly code.

I am not sure how to set it up correctly so that I can use it properly.
Does anyone know how to use OlyDbg debugger well?

Please help me.

Thanks

BogdanOntanu

Perhaps you should learn how to learn first.

It is not going to improve your intelligence IF we spoon food you like a helpless little baby every other seccond of your life.

F7 - Step Into
F8 - Step over
F4 - Execute until here

Did you even bother searching, exploring and understanding Olly or just started to cry instantly?

Does anyone know how to use OlyDbg debugger well?

"NO, in fact nobody knows how to use Ollydbg well" :D
After all that is why Ollydbg was made...just to make etow generate that kind of question.

Helping somebody  is more "complicated" than you think.
You have to teach them how to learn and how to understand.

And answering  questions that could have been solved by a minimal honest effort of the original poster is not a good start.

Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

jdoe

Quote from: BogdanOntanu on January 25, 2008, 03:55:29 PM
Perhaps you should learn how to learn first.

It is not going to improve your intelligence IF we spoon food you like a helpless little baby every other seccond of your life.

Did you even bother searching, exploring and understanding Olly or just started to cry instantly?

Helping somebody  is more "complicated" than you think.
You have to teach them how to learn and how to understand.

And answering  questions that could have been solved by a minimal honest effort of the original poster is not a good start.

That's exactly why I stoped answering his questions.

:(

askm

Perhaps some of you can
compile the fact that he or she is where
we all started and that there is a need for a
good OllyDbg "pointer" to a "reference".

There's nothing wrong with a problem.

If you have a problem with a problem, Then
it was not for you to answer.
Else
in your wisdom post answers before they
become problems.
End If.

Now for a simple tip for whom it may apply:

Those right click commands are worth a try.
One allows you to "follow" those calls,
like right-click on a line like below,
CALL ob.04090342
then when your above line's highlighted,
then bookmark them with the F2 board key.

Thanks for asking any help at all.

BogdanOntanu

Quote from: askm on January 25, 2008, 05:35:10 PM

Perhaps some of you can
compile the fact that he or she is where
we all started ....

I can "compile" a lot ...
To me his actions do not look honest.

When "we" started... we tried to learn and understand a lot first. Then we tried to ask less and choose to ask the  more relevant questions.  Following this path has brought me here where I stand today.

there is a need for a
good OllyDbg "pointer" to a "reference".

Hmm, let us see: OllyDbg home site, tons of RCE forums and Ollydbg tutorials on the net?
Google maybe? Some tutorials (Lena) are made in flash with that nice look: "click here and this will happen then click here and that... ". IF you put OllyDbg in Google search THEN you will have materials to study for the next 2 years.  Some links can not be posted here because they are on questionable reverse forums and the rules of this forum do not allow this kind of contents.

Needless to say that you must be very "inexperienced" in order not to find and read those tutorials.
OR you are not honest and simply try to be spoon feed.

My post is in workshop (this in not as "protected" as campus is) and I made this post ONLY AFTER other forum members made many attempts to help etow step by step.  And only after he insisted not to learn and to ask for the easy "no learning" path.

My post was made exactly in the intention to help him. To teach him something more subtle. We will see IF he gets the "point".

There's nothing wrong with a problem.

If you have a problem with a problem, Then
Else
in your wisdom post answers before they
become problems.
End If.

Nice try.

I never have a problem with a problem...

I choose to answer as I like (respecting the forum rules) and when I like. It is NEVER based on what OTHERS think or on what OP might think ... instead my decision to answer is based ONLY on my own inner knowledge. And bottom line: since I am more experienced than the OP then logically  I know better what the OP needs ...

But I did answer exactly because I thought that my answer was the correct one. And exactly to warn etow BEFORE this becomes a problem for him.

When Ollydbg starts with any program there is a tool bar and IF you move your mouse over a toolbar item in the status bar THEN you will see a brief message describing what the toolbar button does.  On my computer 7th and 8th toolbar buttons do exactly what etow asked.

How much does it take until somebody does hover his mouse on the 7th button?
That is why I assumed he is not honest.

Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

jj2007

He definitely needs an invitation to study how to learn - in this point I agree fully with Bogdan. Apparently he has not yet grasped that most of us here are over 40 and just having fun here, building on 20+ years of coding experience. But then, he might simply be young and enthusiastic and eager to code in this fantastic but horribly user-unfriendly language... that does not yet qualify him as "dishonest".
Welcome on board, etow. Take a thorough look at the \masm32\help folder - it's worth it.

jdoe

Quote from: jj2007 on January 25, 2008, 08:30:18 PM
But then, he might simply be young and enthusiastic and eager to code in this fantastic but horribly user-unfriendly language...

How old he is has nothing to do with it. I guess he have problems to translate what he learned from his other programming languages (I assume assembly is not his first programming experience... I hope so).

--------

etow, don't take the last posts comments badly. Stop writing new programs and read your old posts and the replies you got. When you still make the same errors again and again, it give bad impressions and you're not going to get enthousiasm to help you.

Don't give up  :wink

etow

Hi

I understand my errors in the codes that I posted previously in different posts.
I am learning from them.
I am sorry for my errors.  I hope that I did not offend anyone.

hutch--

etow,

i will share a little secret with you, most of the members who reguarly help other members have been in the trade for many years, many being commercial programmers who earnt their living designing and writing commercial code. Then we have a whole pile of younger guys with IT backgrounds and university educations who also help out where they can and of course we have both retired professionals as well as many young guys who are hobby programmers who also help out where they can.

All have this much in common, they have learnt how to learn a complex language like x86 assembler and are used to searching, researching and experimenting to find out how to do what they need. When you are told HOW rather than WHAT to approach with a problem they are sharing with you the most powerful method of learning a language like assembler.

You will get levels of expertise here that is very hard to find anywhere else including high cost commercial help but it comes at the price that they expect you to learn as they learnt instead of how many modern programmers cobble code together. It is more work but you will write much better and much more powerful code for having bothered and you will also be ae to help other ppeople as your experience grows.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php