Finally finished Break Timer...(first project)

Started by boogara, September 30, 2007, 11:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boogara

For those of you who read my conversion troubles post...well, here's the final result.

I decided after waking up this morning to do away with the FPU library, and I ventured onto a different theory.

All in all, this taught me some interesting things dealing with Assembly, and MASM.

A little bit of info on the ZIP...

1)  Everything was done in RadASM (so just open up that RAP file if you have the IDE.)
2)  As far as I know this is as optimized as it can be...but, then again, I'm not one to know how to purify code, so...hah, yeah.
3)  This project was done for the following reasons: I was bored; I tend to lose track of time while on break at work; I wanted to do a simple-ish project in assembly to get my feet wet again in the language.
4)  As stated earlier really, this was done in MASM...v9 with SP2.

Any who...enjoy!  If you find this useful for something, then sweet!  If you don't, then...hey, no program is for everyone :D

And...just to make this post longer...a tiny list of ways this can be useful:

1)  If you're like me and forget when you have to return to your "haeven"
2)  You're doing either typing or writing exercises
3)  Anything else that you might want to put a time-limit on

This doesn't stop other controls from getting input while the program is running and such...and, if you don't agree to the message box, the timer won't die (last part is like that mainly because I like to know how long it was that I was away...and I like to count things.)

Edit

Uploading a new version...not much has really changed...just made the minute to default @ 15.

I'll probably end up doing one more revision on this before calling it quits (unless I think of other useful ideas for this lil' program.)

Made a cheap icon for it over the night...(just felt like saying, "Hey!  My program is cooler now!" this way :D)

I also packed the file, so now it's 3.5 kb instead of almost 6 kb (I'm a stickler on size...especially since my Windows HD is only 40 GB big.)

[If you're curious as to what I used...I used MEW 11 SE v1.2 [one of the best packers I've used...cuts a simple MFC dialog down about 30-40% at least]).

[attachment deleted by admin]

jj2007

Very cute :U
But packing is cheating :boohoo:
For most of the Masm addicted here in the forum, break default time should be 5 minutes, to prevent symptoms of cold turkey.

boogara

Quote from: jj2007 on May 19, 2008, 10:27:32 PM
Very cute :U
But packing is cheating :boohoo:
For most of the Masm addicted here in the forum, break default time should be 5 minutes, to prevent symptoms of cold turkey.
Thanks :D  Haha...how is packing cheating?  Well, besides not doing much optimization...<.<  >.>  XD

Ah, hah...well, I made this for myself, lol, so...my break is 15 most of time. :D

jj2007

Quote from: boogara on May 19, 2008, 10:58:02 PM
how is packing cheating?

Well, if you find a better packer, you can cheat in the "smallest Hello World program" competition.
On real programs, I also cheat, of course - the Dashboard is packed with the almost unbeatable 7zip.