News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

.asm File Types set to VCExpress.asm.8.0

Started by Mr Earl, August 05, 2007, 03:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Earl

I installed Microsoft VisualC++ 2005 Express Edition last year and played with it a while, but then NEVER used it again.  This week MS sent me a notice that I should re-register my copy.  I shouldn't have, but I did re-register.  Since then ALL my .asm files show up in Windows Explorer NOT as .asm, but as type "VCExpress.asm.8.0, and the "opens with" program is set to the VCExpress program.

I tried to reset the "opens with" program to my editor (Vim), but when I browse and select Vim as the "opens with" program, it just ignores the request .  I can reset it to use Wordpad or Notepad.

I uninstalled VCExpress, but that didn't change the "type" back to .asm.   How can I get the file type reset to .asm?

hutch--

You should be able to do it in Explorer where you enable extensions and set ASM to the edtor of your choice. Alternatively I would do a search of the registry to find the file extension string and change it there.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

jdoe

Mr Earl,

This is the registry key hutch is talking about. Just set the path of your .asm editor.

asm.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asm]
@="asm_auto_file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\asm_auto_file]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\asm_auto_file\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\AZIMUT\\BIN\\notepad2.exe\" \"%1\""

Mr Earl

Thanks Hutch & jdoe, the registry change fixed it.  I also removed a folder under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asm called "Persistent Handler".  Is that what was causing me not to be able to change it from "Properties"?

This was causing me a lot of problems with my editor until I realized what was going on.

GregL

Yeah, that is a really annoying thing about VC++ 2005 Express, among others, it just takes over your file associations, doesn't even ask.  :tdown