New version of Turbo C++, free download

Started by GregL, September 09, 2006, 01:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

Borland has re-released Turbo C++. The Explorer version is a free download. Meant to  compete with Visual C++ Express I guess. There is also Turbo Delphi and Turbo C#. They should bring back Turbo Assembler.

Turbo Explorer

Edit: It includes TASM32 version 5.3.

Shantanu Gadgil

Yay! Downloading it now, thanks!

Cheers,
Shantanu
To ret is human, to jmp divine!

Vortex

Turbo C++ is a download of 384 MB and the prerequisite is 228 MB. It's too much in my modest opinion.

ToutEnMasm

Hello,
Is it compatible with the c++ microsoft ?.
                        ToutEnMasm

Shantanu Gadgil

I am waiting for the license file, which they have supposed to have sent to my email account!  :( :(

drhowarddrfine

Quote from: ToutEnMasm on September 09, 2006, 07:44:10 AM
Hello,
Is it compatible with the c++ microsoft ?.
                        ToutEnMasm

Isn't C++ supposed to be portable?! :P

ToutEnMasm

Funny,yes
Perhaps c++ is portable and have the same syntaxe but ...... c++ borland  had a prerequired install that need the framework 1.1 instead of 2.0 and some other things that can made troubles with the microsoft one.The c++ microsoft can be break easily or put on trouble with very little things.
                                         ToutEnMasm

GregL

Quote from: VortexTurbo C++ is a download of 384 MB and the prerequisite is 228 MB. It's too much in my modest opinion.
I already had all the prerequisites so I didn't need to download and install any of them.

ToutEnMasm,

The .NET Framework 1.1 will co-exist with 2.0, no problem. I have both MS VC++ Express and Turbo C++ Explorer installed, I'm not having any problems with either of them.

Shantanu Gadgil

Waiting for over 3+ days...no license file yet!!!  :( :( ::) ::)

Anyone with similar (mis)fortune???

Vortex

Shantanu,

Maybe the e.mail you are waiting for is marked as spam, did you check it?

GregL

shantanu,

I'm not sure how long it took for me. I put in the request at night and when I got back around to it the next afternoon, it was there.

It seems something has gone wrong with your request.

Shantanu Gadgil

I checked the spam...no spam!!!  :( :(

It seems to be a hotmail specific thing!!! The email was delivered properly on yahoo.  :bg

Thanks for your responses!

Regards,
Shantanu

Vortex

Greg,

What are your first impressions on this new version of Turbo C++ ?  Does it worth to download all those packages?

GregL

Vortex,

I have been trying it out and it's a very good C / C++ compiler and the IDE is nice too. I have been trying to get a TASM-only project to work in the IDE, but so far I haven't been able to. I imagine it can be done, but they sure don't make it easy. TASM could be a great assembler if they would fix some problems, make some improvements and get it up to date. Unfortunately Borland (and Microsoft) seem to be mostly focused on OOP and .NET.

Positives:
It's definitely not as big and bloated as Visual C++ 2005.
It doesn't produce .NET executables, so it doesn't require all the stuff needed for .NET.

Negatives:
It doesn't support the C99 standard (Pelle's C does).
In my opinion TASM isn't quite as good as MASM or POASM.

Try installing it without the prerequisites, and see what it really requires. I can't see why Turbo C++ would need the .NET Framework, ... unless maybe the IDE requires it.

Try it out and see what you think.

Vortex

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for the infos. I will try to download the package.