MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

What op codes are supported?

Started by shultzjr, July 31, 2006, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shultzjr

Hi all,

Intel broght out a bunch of new processors lately.  With a 64 bit assembler which opcodes are actually supported?  For example is VT virtual technology supported? and how do I program at that level?\

thanks,
charles......

P1

charles,

Welcome Aboard !!!     :U

The forum 'Search' and Google are your programming friends.     :dance:

QuoteIntel and AMD have independently developed virtualization extensions to the x86 architecture. They are not directly compatible with each other, but serve largely the same functions. Either will allow a virtual machine hypervisor to run an unmodified guest operating system without incurring significant emulation performance penalties.

Intel's virtualization extension for 32-bit and 64-bit x86 architecture is named VT (short for Virtualization Technology), and is sometimes referred to by the code name "Vanderpool". Intel has also published specifications for Vanderpool for the IA-64 (Itanium) processors; formerly the IA-64 virtualization was code-named "Silvervale".

AMD's virtualization extension to the 64-bit x86 architecture is named AMD Virtualization, and is sometimes referred to by the code name "Pacifica".

Both Intel and AMD have contributed support for their virtualization extensions to the Xen virtual machine monitor, allowing it to execute unmodified guest operating systems.
Your going to research the vendor specific codes for yourself.  Intel is good for giving you what you need to get started.

I am sorry to say the M$ MASM for 64bit was crippled.  We had an old post around here on the last comments made to the M$ developement team about what they could do to make it more functional.

Keep us posted on your research.

Regards,  P1  :8)

shultzjr

If MASM is "crippled", what is best environment to code in if one wants to code at the hardware level?

If pacifica and VT-x are incompatible, does that mean one program for one target arch will not run on the other?

Finally, is IA-64 VT-i incompatible with both amd and intel x86 versions?

thanks,
charles......

hutch--

Look at WASM, NASM, certainly GoAsm and probably GAS to see alternatives. General drift is 64 bit assemblers are not all that well developed at the moment.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

farrier

shultzjr,

The FASM at flatassembler.net supports 16, 32, 64 bit assembly for DOS, Windows, Linux, and others.  And will support virtual tools when specifications are finalized and published.  Also, for those used to MASM, FASM macros are available to simulate MASM syntax.

farrier
It is a GOOD day to code!
Some assembly required!
ASM me!
With every mistake, we must surely be learning. (George...Bush)

Hypervista

FASM http://www.flatassembler.net fully supports Intel VMX (VT-x) instructions and AMD SVM (Pacifica) instructions.