MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

BeginUpdateResource gives error...

Started by thomasantony, December 20, 2004, 08:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasantony

Hi,
   I am trying to add custom resources to a file which is made from copying an existing exe file at runtime using CopyFile. I call it like this

invoke BeginUpdateResource,ADDR LoaderName,FALSE

I get the error ERROR_CALL_NOT_IMPLEMENTED . I use Win98 SE .

Thomas Antony
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Programmer's Directory. Submit for free

hutch--

Thomas, I am pretty sure that function is not available in win98se at all. It will only work on NT based version from win2k up.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Vortex

I think there must be a patch to solve the problem.

PellesC

I read somewhere that the "Microsoft Unicode Layer" for Win 9X should fix this. Not sure it works - never tried it.

Pelle

donkey

I have tried MSLU with Win9x and BeginUpdateResource and it does work. I think I used it for an auto-install application that I was building but I ended up going a different route. The tests were all successful however.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

thomasantony

Thomas, I am pretty sure that function is not available in win98se at all. It will only work on NT based version from win2k up
Hi,
   Thats too bad.... Then why the hell did they have the function in the dll at all ::) . Does anyone know any other way to modify resources of a file dynamically.

Thomas Antony
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Vortex

thomasantony

Hi,
  Vortex,. Thanx but I didn't understand much in that website. Is there any way to edit the resources directly using info from the PE header perhaps

Thomas Antony