Use your profile signature to show us your software

Started by hutch--, June 08, 2006, 02:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BogdanOntanu

For a start: you did not understand correctly. Nobody forces you to make your code open source or even free. Many people (including me) provide links to their sites that contain ASM written binary code with no sources available. Sometimes the provided applications are not even free and/or subject to strong licensing limitations for commercial usage.

In fact "I guess" MASM32 is licensed in such a way that it can not be used for writing GNU open source code (not legally).

Hence you got it wrong. You can link to your ASM non open source and non free software in your signature...

I guess that Hutch was just giving you a "hint" that you can use your signature to "advertise" (in a decent manner) your own ASM code (open source or not ... free or not free)

However beware that most people do not execute binary code from "untrusted" or unknown sources... and becoming "trusted" is complicated and uncertain in today's world :D

That is why most people will ask for sources ... in order to make sure that there is not Trojan included :D

Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

zemtex

I may sound more serious than my intentions are. It was just a thought, nothing too serious. But I get it now.
I have been puzzling with lego bricks all my life. I know how to do this. When Peter, at age 6 is competing with me, I find it extremely neccessary to show him that I can puzzle bricks better than him, because he is so damn talented that all that is called rational has gone haywire.

raymond

QuoteYou are here to inspire people to do their own coding.

That is the ultimate reason why I prepared the FPU tutorial and made it public for every assembly programmer to peruse if they ever feel the need to do some high precision computation by themselves. For the exact same reason, I also made the Fpulib public along with the source code of each function so that people can learn a bit more how to do their own thing. This community was created for sharing knowledge.

However, I would certainly not release a program, nor the source code, which I prepared for someone else to use a laptop as a "cash register" to keep track of all daily transactions and prepare a detailed daily report of items sold, remaining inventories, payments by credit/debit cards and cash, etc. etc.
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

bomz

It's be convenient  to do collection of examples here http://www.masm32.com/, isn't it? with full remarks.
not full programs but code which show individual functions

stingz

Quote from: zemtex on September 13, 2010, 05:34:49 PM
Why is it that all people who code assembly ASSUME that all assembly coders make free software and open source for everyone to grab? Why is assembly code so much less worth than code made in a HL language?

"Put your code as signature".. It is a nasty assumption you got there, to assume all users on this forum have free code to share. Some people like secrecy, some people want to be the only owner of the code (Even though you could disassemble it, it wouldnt be the same quality as the source code)

It's sad that no assembly programmer want to hold certain things for themselves anymore. It's not critics from my side, it's just a thought for everyone. Your code is valuable, keep it to yourself.

How is sharing code bad?  Yes commercial work usually needs to remain hidden but only to prevent the competition from having a foot in the door to your business.  Keeping all of your personal code hidden seems lonely and somewhat counterproductive.

If I write some code in my spare time and it performs a useful task, I think it is very helpful to the community to show others how it is done.  Anyone with equal or greater skill could recreate it without the source code anyway, so it doesn't matter if they see it and it has the power to educate those with less skill.  This doesn't make the code any less valuable.  I consider it more valuable the more it helps others learn.  Another benefit of this is that strangers now have an avenue to contact you about a familiar subject.  Talking to new people about old problems can generate new ideas and encourage learning on both sides.

I'd also like to hear the argument explained how ASM would have less worth than higher level languages because some code may be open source?  There are way more open source C, C++, Java, Perl, Ruby projects than assembly projects and many, many, of them are of very high worth.

oex

Quote from: stingz on November 22, 2010, 06:14:23 PM
How is sharing code bad?  Yes commercial work usually needs to remain hidden but only to prevent the competition from having a foot in the door to your business.  Keeping all of your personal code hidden seems lonely and somewhat counterproductive.

If I write some code in my spare time and it performs a useful task, I think it is very helpful to the community to show others how it is done.  Anyone with equal or greater skill could recreate it without the source code anyway, so it doesn't matter if they see it and it has the power to educate those with less skill.  This doesn't make the code any less valuable.

Hi Stingz,

First welcome to the forum :bg.... I would suggest that sharing code could be bad because it shares mistakes, the web is already flooded with badly written and badly documented snippets.... If coding is something you do 'for fun' this could still wield problems.... Yes other people could see it and point out your mistakes however this is unlikely unless a substancial amount of people do the same task off your example and realise the error.... Far from educating people you might end up opening up many peoples computers to harm especially if someone distributes code you have given without understanding it's flaws....

By promoting your personal code you also show up your weaknesses rather than your strengths to an experienced coder, this could be counter productive in your work projects.... Coding is 'fun' in the context of standing on a soap box spouting off your hair brained ideas to the world (As I often do in here :lol).... Ultimately real coding is lonely, you are generally sitting alone in 4 walls looking at a screen :bg
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

stingz

Quote from: oex on November 22, 2010, 07:00:31 PM
Far from educating people you might end up opening up many peoples computers to harm especially if someone distributes code you have given without understanding it's flaws....

In that case no code should be shared until peer reviewed by experts!   :green2   But actually this is not affected by whether or not the code is shared.  The binary is obviously just as dangerous as the code used to produce it.  At least with the code a saavy user has the ability to fix the code and let the author know!

There probably 100 microsoft jokes that could be made at this point  :lol

oex

:lol Well worth looking at both sides of the arguement, you asked how sharing was bad and it does have it's downsides.... This doesnt mean the professionals get it right either but that just goes to show coding is not just a toy.... There are very few 'saavy users' :bg
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

hutch--

Guys,

This thread is here to advise members on how to make their own code available for other members if they wish to do so. We ask that it be legal and safe code and will remove any signatures that have otherwise but finally its a means for members to share their code if they want t do so. It is rarely ever safe to post just a binary if you are not well known, we have had people long ago try and post code that had viruses or trojans in it and we have had to remove it so that other members don't get infected by trash like this.

You don't have to be a guru or an elite or any other bullsh*t like this, just make sure you posted or linked code is clean, makes sense and works and you may be able to help out someone who is doing similar things.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

dedndave

i think the discussion is an issue of translation from English
i believe it has been interpreted as a "command", rather than a simple invitation

oex

:lol sorry delete my posts if you like I have no delete button I was just going off on a tangent as per usual :bg.... I didnt realise the significance of the thread I thought it was another pantomime OS thread but 'oh no it isnt' :lol

debugee

hello everybody(你们好)! i am chinese ,the forum is so good, :U :U