News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Question to members on dial ups.

Started by hutch--, December 20, 2004, 06:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

As best as I can tell, the new forum software has a lot more efficient back end to the database and appears to have more efficient php code as well. If you are still running a dial up, would you let me know if there is any improvement in speed terms with loading and browsing the forum ?
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

00100b

Dial-up from home (it's what I get for living out in the sticks) and the performance appears to be quite satisfactory.

Petroizki

Seems quite fast, i don't have to switch to another browser while waiting for the topic to load. ;)

MichaelW

On my home dial-up, which is about as fast as they get, at the peak Internet load time which IIRC is Sunday evening, this forum seems to load everything faster than the old forum did, even at its best :U
eschew obfuscation

farrier

hutch--,

At home with a 24 K dial-up, please don't laugh, it's painful, this board seems noticably faster.  Much less delay starting up and finishing faster!

Thanks for your efforts :U

farrier
It is a GOOD day to code!
Some assembly required!
ASM me!
With every mistake, we must surely be learning. (George...Bush)

hutch--

Thanks for the feedback guys, I went broadband some months ago because it was actually cheaper than the dialup cost plus local calls. I would have been in deep sh*t over the last few days without it as I have move a mountain of data testing and then setting up this new one.

Trust me, I DON'T laugh at a 28k dialup, I spent a few years on nothing better and that was if you were lucky and not under peak load.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Robert Collins

I am running on a 56K Dial-Up modem but I really can't compare this forum with the other one since I joined up just right before you had the hack and as thus did not get the fell of the other forum but I can say that this forum seems to load alot faster than some of the other forums I am a member of but that is not a fair compare because the load time of any forum is dependant on what is on the forum to begin with (ie, alot of graphics and animations, etc).   

Mark_Larson

I also had dialup for a long time.  I only switched about 3 years ago.  I had been using dialup to connect to the internet before ISPs ( around 1992).  I used to connect using C-SLIP ( compressed SLIP) through the university.  The last modem I had was a 56K modem and they use to charge me $20 a month in fees.  My DSL only costs $26.  Also , since I stopped using dialup the prices for dialup has dropped to $10 a month around here.  Too bad they didn't do it sooner.  I also had a cable modem for 2 of the 3 years I've been off dialup.  It's about 3 times more expensive than my DSL, and unless I am downloading really large files I don't notice. 

EDIT: Here is a comparison of max download speed between my DSL and a 56K dialup.  My DSL modem downloads at a max speed of 128 kilboytes a second.  A 56k modem downloads at a max speed of 5.3 kilobytes a second.   128 / 5.3 = 24.2 times faster.  So my DSL is still 24.2 times faster than the fastest dialup.  So that's more than sufficient for most tasks.  I just downloaded the WOW patch.  It was 40MB in size.  I was getting 90KB/s - 100KB/s transfer rate the whole time.  And that is from a server lagged with other requests to download the same patch.  So that's definitely quite nice :)  I also play a lot of online games and have never had a problem with DSL being slower than a cable modem.
BIOS programmers do it fastest, hehe.  ;)

My Optimization webpage
htttp://www.website.masmforum.com/mark/index.htm

sbrown

Quote from: 00100b on December 20, 2004, 07:05:07 AM
Dial-up from home (it's what I get for living out in the sticks) and the performance appears to be quite satisfactory.

Yes livin' "way out here" I can access the forum faster on my dial-up too. :8)

Marwin

Well, I don't notice a very faster load than in the previous forum (I'm using a dial-up) but it's loading speed is okay for a 56K (like it was the case with the old forum software, too).

Regards,
Marwin