News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Strange request.

Started by hutch--, January 31, 2006, 12:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

I have run into an oddity when building a collection of modules into a library, POASM does the job fine as long as the modules are in a valid syntax it understands but it just sits there with no screen output unless there is an error.

I wonder if its possible to add an assembler switch like /LOGO or /V for verbose so you know each module has been built ?

Now as you have the author as a captive audience, here is the place to do some advertising.

Pelle's Amazing Macro Assembler Copyright (c) 2006 Pelle Orinius All Rights Reserved
Assembling: H:\asm\yourfile.asm
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

MusicalMike

Even with text mode applications, you should still include SOME bells and wistles. Like how many passes the assembler made, time it took, size of file, output, etc. Also, wouldn't it be nice if the assembler automaticly invoked the linker after it was done.

Mark Jones

Interesting Mike, but then you'd defeat the idea of backwards-compatibility, plus how would you give explicit linker commands?
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

PellesC

In my opinion a command line tool should only say something when it has something to say - like a warning or error. I *hate* chatty tools. I have a verbose option in some tools - because sometimes there are more to (optionally) say. For an assembler, I can't really think of anything interesting to say/display...

Pelle

zooba

Quote from: MusicalMike on January 31, 2006, 05:43:34 PM
wouldn't it be nice if the assembler automaticly invoked the linker after it was done.

That's what batch files are for :U

Quote from: PellesC on January 31, 2006, 08:09:03 PM
In my opinion a command line tool should only say something when it has something to say - like a warning or error. I *hate* chatty tools. I have a verbose option in some tools - because sometimes there are more to (optionally) say. For an assembler, I can't really think of anything interesting to say/display...

Pelle

I agree. Though I do like having an optional logo (on by default) at the start as Hutch suggested above. I find it even more disconcerting when there is no output at all (at least you can always '>nul' to hide it :wink)

Mark Jones

Personally I like the way PORC reports data:

C:\Masm32\Bin\RC.EXE /v "SCR.rc"
Pelles Resource Compiler, Version 3.00.2
Copyright (c) Pelle Orinius 1997-2005
Using codepage 1252.

Writing 0x18, id = 1, language = 0x409, offset = 0x20
PORC: SCR.rc(2): warning: Unrecognized or misplaced token: "STRING"
Writing DIALOGEX, id = 1000, language = 0x409, offset = 0x2A0

Make finished.
Total compile time 703 ms
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

MusicalMike

QuoteThat's what batch files are for
Good point, I totally forgot about that.

PellesC

I can add a verbose option to POASM too - but as I said, I can't think of anything useful to display. Displaying something for the sake of displaying something, seems silly. Like all my other tools, the logo is displayed, along with available options, for no/invalid arguments. This is enough. Number of source lines, size of code, etc. is, in my opinion, useless information. Any other ideas?

(The C compiler driver (CC) will in the future also support POASM - for a combination of assembling and linking. Since it's more associated with the C compiler, it has little to do with POASM at the moment...)

Pelle

hutch--

Pelle,

As long as it is an option that is not inflicted without choice, it is useful for building libraries to know which file is being assembled and while you are at it, put your name on it.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php