Anybody else trying the new Visual c++ 2005 express edition?????

Started by OceanJeff32, November 15, 2005, 10:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

Thanks for the link Greg, I just read the bootstrapper article and laughed. All the more reason to write in C only or preferrably assembler. I am blessed as well in that I keep the 2 current PowerBASIC compilers handy which I do my higher level code with and none of this stuff requires the never ending list of changing DLLs.

Zooba,

iIf you trust a Microsoft installation and removal, you are a braver man than I am. I actually paid for the Acronis software so I could protect myself from stuff like this.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

GregL

noman9607

Hutch,
If you want a list of dependencies you might try the pe explorer free download. Just load a dll or exe and it wil generate  a list of the dependencies for you. Well, for 30 days anyway. When I am flush I might buy it. I have attached the dependency list for the windbg.exe
because I am playing with it now. It takes longer to hit the keys than this program takes to scan the file and you don't have to over-write your partitions or fuss with anything. It is at heaventools.com they are not my relatives or anything.

[attachment deleted by admin]

noman9607

When I uninstalled c++ express, I no longer have permision to set the .c extension even though I am the administrator and the only one to use the computer. vcc express must have done something to the registry. I used the supplied uninstall program and it reported no problems. If I assign a text editor for example, windows will remove the assignment the next time the \tools menu is opened.
What a headache and you can get the command line compiler without this headache in the vcc toolkit but I found out too late.

Mincho Georgiev

One simple sollution for that is to delete the .c class from the registry and then to make another assignment. I.e. remove HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.c and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cfile. They will be created "clean" by windows itself, don't worry.

noman9607

Hey Shaka, thanks. I was so pissed about this I could have ripped Bills lungs out
I think Hutch should give you a fourth star.  :U

hutch--

When I tested it out, i first updated my boot disk image to a file, installed it, hated it and re-ran the boot image so it was back as it has been then ratted through the binaries which are in fact very good. The version of CL.EXE works well and the default LINK does not arbitrarily align at 16k. The IDE was a slow bad mannered pig and it hogged all of the viable file extensions but thats nothing new from Microsoft where their recent concepts are trash in comparison to the binaries supplied.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Mincho Georgiev

:bg
It wasn't what i expected neither. Not to mention that my PC suddenly appear to be too old for everything to go on normally with VS.

PBrennick

Shaka,
Nothing new about that, either, as I am sure you know.  Over the years I have watched us get faster CPUs and then slower programs that hog the speed in a repeating cycle.  The people of today are no longer true programmers when they use Direct X and the like.  They are forced to work within a mold and I would never tolerate that.  Sorry, Greg, just how 'I' feel.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

Mincho Georgiev

That 's right Paul. Growing up hardware requierements, bigger money earnings for both - software and hardware developers. That is the Sad True for low earnings people on the other side...

GregL

Quote from: PBrennickSorry, Greg, just how 'I' feel.

No problem. I love to program in MASM, but I don't limit myself to it only. I think it's a good thing to be "multilingual".

shaka_zulu,

Yes, Visual Studio 2005 is a slow, bloated pig. How it hijacked the file associations pissed me off, and I don't like the "Side-by-Side" DLL crap with the C Run-Time Library. It essentially means your native apps need the .NET Framework to run.  :tdown  I have been using Visual Studio 2003 or Pelle's for C programming.

GregL

PBrennick,

Quote from: PBrennickThe people of today are no longer true programmers when they use Direct X and the like.  They are forced to work within a mold and I would never tolerate that.  Sorry, Greg, just how 'I' feel.

Ya know, the more I though about that, the more it irked me. I tried to let it go but I couldn't. It was directed at me.

So according to you I am not a true programmer? I suppose if I use the Windows API I am not a true programmer? I suppose if I use the C run-time library I am not a true programmer? I suppose if I use a language other than assembly I am not a true programmer? I suppose if I use the high-level constructs in MASM I'm not a true programmer?

I have never written a program that uses DirectX, and if I had there's nothing wrong with that at all.

I can do the PUSH and CALL type MASM programming, but most of the time I choose not to.

I am really getting tired of the condescending "assembly extremist" attitude. There's a lot more to programming than low-level assembly language.

zurieltx

So from what I gather I installed a piece of junk, and I thought I was getting something for free  :eek

Vortex

Hi Greg,

Paul didn't wrote them to offend anyone here. As I guess , he doesn't like programming with Direct X, this is probably what he wanted to  tell.

GregL

Vortex,

Yeah, I suppose. I wouldn't have thought twice about it if he had left my name out of it.

zurieltx,

It's not that bad if you can put up with the items mentioned above. I couldn't, I uninstalled it. I would suggest you get the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003, but it is no longer available for download from Microsoft since they released Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.  :tdown  Pelle's C is a very good compiler and IDE. Pelle's Assembler is very good too. Pelle said it would be integrated into Pelle's C in the next release.  :thumbu