MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Computer usage - and other stuff

Started by RedXVII, October 03, 2005, 11:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedXVII

Hello fellas, - im new to the forum.
Ive only recently started learning assembly language and in my opinion, its easier to understand than C. With assembly you deal with whats actually happening and with C its a garbled bunch of comments and bizarre statements with little explination, which mean less to me than assembly does, and when it comes to debugging - you read it in the same language you wrote it in, hurray for assembly! Ive been working my way through iczillions tutorials which are fucking fantastic - although its not taught me much about all the opcodes i can use. Anyhow - im a noob.

I love the opengl in assembly work guys.  :U  Its fucking ace, i want to join this and see what i can do :D you guys have my admiration in what you know. I got the example list and it compiled nicely (its gonna take me an age to go over the code and find out whats happening and how you structured it). Thing i instantly noticed about it was its cpu usage, this is cause, when my machine runs the program, my insanely loud fan (which im gonna get replaced at some point) comes on for the duration of the program. Is there no sleep command or something to make it use less? Ive seen examples in C which dont make so much noise with no lack of performance, so i figured its dooable in assembly, right?

Anyhow, thats my first question. Ive been looking to make something with 2D graphics and opengl in assembly is probably what im gonna use.

Cheers
Red

Edit: sepling with gramma

hitchhikr

Welcome,

(its gonna take me an age to go over the code and find out whats happening and how you structured it)

Hence the existence of this sub-forum where you can seek & obtain help about this topic while learning from the questions/answers made from/to other people aswell :wink

Ive seen examples in C which dont make so much noise with no lack of performance

I'd like to see these examples.
The PeekMessage function takes all the cpu time it can (and doesn't if there's none available). If you know or find a descent solution to this, i'm all ear.

RedXVII

Im sure the examples on my hard drive somewhere, but youre gonna have to let me find it cause i havent a scooby where it is  :(

However, look at this - this looks familiar  :bg

http://cboard.cprogramming.com/archive/index.php/t-31038.html

importantly "foniks munkee"s post at the bottom of the page.

Cheers
Red

hitchhikr

The guy is talking about limiting the framerate which is irrelevant here because the examples are framerate independant.

Afaik, a game like quake3 do it the same way as i do (i'll check again just to be sure  :green).

RedXVII

Bollocks  :(

Well, i dont really know - ive seen it done though without much hassle. Once i finally get round to going through the framework, maybe ill modify it myself if i can  :bg

Still working my way through iczillions though.