News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Install and Uninstall

Started by Force, March 25, 2012, 10:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Force

Is there any example code for installing and uninstalling a program ?

I mean to show my program between Control Panel ----> Programs
Never Stop Until You Are Better Than The Best

donkey

The uninstall program can be anything you want, when you install the program you must simply register the uninstall program in the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\YourProgName\

You can look at the entries in the key to see what you need to include.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

vanjast

It's probably advisable to keep clear of the registry when installing programs - it gets messy and can be problematic.
A simple folder delete is more efficient as an uninstall function.
:wink

Force

Thanks

first I need to know how to install my program

baltoro

Unless your program (you have told us nothing about it) is really complicated, involving a number of COM components,...the simplest method of installation is merely to create a new directory (folder) and unzip your program into it, with all dependent files.
That way the user can just delete the folder to uninstall.
...Simple and almost fool-proof,...especially during development.
Baltoro

Force

yes its easy way and i do it  i can make short way icon on the desktop from that folder also

in fact i dont know really why lot of programmers use installion wizard for their programs

I just wondered it so i wanted to learn installion technique

anunitu

I think that the install thing came about from Dos. it used to be that you had to configure a program manually after you unzipped into a directory, and it could be kind of complicated to set up the environmental variables in your Bat file. The autoexec.bat file was where you set of your path string,among other things. 

vanjast

Quote from: Force on March 26, 2012, 07:52:17 PM
This is probably a result of MSoft's drive to do it 'their way'
This is offered as an easy (default) option for those lazy RAD developers, but here at Masm County, the folk are a bit different, if not, impossible  :wink

vanjast

This is a mission on it's own..
I my vague 'bottled' memory, you have to literally write another program (script or C based [say no more]) to install the crap.
.. when a simple copy would do.

Nudge.. Nudge.. Wink.. Wink..  :bdg

vanjast

in fact i dont know really why lot of programmers use installion wizard for their programs
Coz.. they're stupid and lazy. BUT you'll find them as 'experts' in IT departments..  :U

Force

They use installion wizard even if with simple program so   as you said we think it's   way of experts