News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Getting a new toy...

Started by vanjast, February 13, 2012, 11:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanjast

Which Win7 version is the best for home/development use...
Home Basic looks full of cr.ap
Home Premium doesn't look that much better..

I got this supplier saying Win7 OEM 32 bit Home Premium...

32bit ...WTF :eek isn't Win7 64bit ??

Rockphorr

You can use any version for development, they differences in administration, and 32 or 64 depends by system or price limitations
- get win 7 64 pro
Strike while the iron is hot - Бей утюгом, пока он горячий

vanjast

I should have know better than to rely on a PC sales guy to give me decent info...

Pro 64 bit is on the way...

Thanks
:bg

dedndave

i have given some thought to the same, Van
as a minimum, i would want a version that allowed Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

QuoteWindows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, available on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate,
allow you to run multiple Windows environments, such as Windows XP Mode, from your Windows 7 desktop.

dedndave

i found this comparison table
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

looks like the step from Professional to Ultimate is $20 US
you get some interesting stuff for $20

vanjast

Thanks dave...

My new toy.. :green2 should have it by wednesday..oh yeah!!! Why does one get excited about these things..it's and upgrade addiction  :8)
Mobo - MS-P67A-GD55 MSI P67A-GD55 95W DDR3 GB LAN ATX S1155 MBD  (wanted the GD80 version but they only stock this guy)
Chassis - FD-CA-CORE-3000-BLFRACTAL DESIGN CORE 3000 ATX CHASSIS (a chassis is a chassis.. sort of)
GCard - MS-N560GTX-M2D1GD5MSI N560GTX 1GB 256BIT DDR5 DX11 PCI-E 16 (I'll upgrade this later, it'll do for the moment)
HDisk - WD10EARX WD CAVIAR GREEN 1TB SATA3 INTELLIPOWER 64MB 3.5" (a few choices here... either 7200rpm or 1TB)
Dram - AP4096-DDR310600 APACER 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ LDIMM PC3-10600  (I just went for 16GB of ram)
DVD - GH22NS70-BULK LG 22X DVD WRITER SATA - BULK (a compulsory item)
Screen - LGE2341TBN LG E2241T 23" LED 1920X1080, 5MS, MEGA DCR - DV  (midway between big screen and my pocket  :bg )
POWER - CPU-I7-2600 INTEL I7 2600 QC 3.4GHZ 8MB S1155 IGP 95W (I thought let's not mess around I'm going to have this PC for at least 5 years)
PSU - IP-S600AQ3 PROLINE 600W ATX12V V2.2,12CM FAN, NON PFC (I need power for my bigger graphics card coming ...soon  :P )

dedndave

sounds really nice, Van    :U

vanjast

Well, at least now I have my own personal toy.. and the wiff-n-kids can play on this PC... which is 5 years or so old.
You know what it's like to be a MAN in the family.... everyone thinks what's yours, is theirs  :dazzled:....

Not any more... it's MINE.  :green2

hutch--

Yeah but for how long ?  :P
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

dedndave

create a user account with a password   :U
(i also turn off the guest account)
so what if you have to sign in to boot up
just think of all the problems it will avoid

anunitu

Gots to have the new toy..I love gadgets..I am looking at getting a new tower system,or a laptop/Netbook with a wireless connection.
Not sure about the tablets yet. I alway try and get the install CD's in case the system dies..or perhaps a GOOd system backup program to burn the backup to a CD,or DVD.

dedndave

Zara says i can have one when she gets a new mercedes   :red
she "alluded" to the fact that i already have too many - lol
mercedes benz vs computer - sounds fair, eh   ::)

rags

Dave just think of the system that you can get that = the price of a mercedes.
God made Man, but the monkey applied the glue -DEVO

dedndave

it's funny you say that   :8)
i was thinking about adding a bunch of stuff to the pile
i am getting kinda old to be climbing towers and Zara gets mad at me when i do
universal tower makes a nice crank-up/tilt-over
long ago - i designed and built a 40 meter log-periodic with aluminum wire for field day (woked pretty well up to about 25 mhz)
it would be cool to make another one of those

then, i might trade my car in, also - lol
i could come out on top of this deal
of course, i hafta make her think it was her idea
if she discovers she's been had after the fact, i am screwed (more accurately - never screwed again)

vanjast

Quote from: hutch-- on February 13, 2012, 11:48:08 PM
Yeah but for how long ?  :P
True... the youngest is already making plans... but I'm defending bravely  :bg
On this PC we all have limited user accounts, and 2 admin accounts which I administer (hmm I sound like a politician  :bg)

It's this facebook, youtube and social nonsense that they like... and that stuff freaks me out with regard to keeping info safe on this PC.
So it's a new PC for me  and they can go 'moggie' on this one..
:8)