Installing MASM32 Version 11 throws error dialogs on Windows 8.

Started by RJ, March 14, 2012, 09:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJ

On Win8, when in compiling lib phase, some error dialogs are shown, one of them is as follows:

Titile: inc2l.exe - Ordinal Not Found
Message: Thre ordinal 200 could not be located in the dynamic link library
C:\Windows\AppPatch\AcGeneral.dll

Some similar dialogs appear. But the overrall installation is successful.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.

hutch--

Have a read of the installation page at www.masm32.com .It sounds like an access problem in how you have Win7 set up, either OS or AV scanner.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

RJ

Thanks for the reply, but seems MASM32 version 10 also meets the same issue on Win8.

hutch--

RJ,

What there is no solution to is designing a non-invasive installation that is free of external interference by either OS settings or AV scanners. MASM32 is a development environment that requires disk IO to work correctly and a properly configured OS to allow such access. AV scanners are another problem again, MASM32 has no problems with reputable AV companies but can generate false positives with the low end of AV scanners. This is why we have a sh*tlist forum to report unreliable AV products.

MASM32 installs correctly on Win7 64 bit as long as the access is allowed, sliently blocking an EXE file is what is doing the damage.

RE: Your error message,

Titile: inc2l.exe - Ordinal Not Found

Neither the installation nor the executable file "inc2l.exe" use the missing DLL and that executable has worked since the days of Win2000, XP, Vista and current Win7 64.

LATER : Having read the topic in a hurry, I did not take notice that it was Win8 beta so i have no idea how or what works on Win8.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Bill Cravener

Steve, for your information, I had a bit of free time while I ate my lunch time sandwich so I fired up my VBox 4.1.8 with Windows 8 Beta on my Windows 7 64 bit machine and installed your package from a CD. I had zero problems and it installed perfectly on Win 8!  :thumbu
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

anunitu

Bill,since you have had some time to work with Win8,what is your opinion as to its function and use. As it seems if I were to buy a newer system,I might have reason to opt out of Win8,and go with win7 instead.

P1

Quote from: RJ on March 14, 2012, 09:52:27 AMTitile: inc2l.exe - Ordinal Not Found
AcGenral.dll is the name on Vista64.

Maybe, it is a name issue.

I also noticed that there are two inc2l.exe files, one in include(2011) and the other in inc2l(2006).[Edit- Binaries are the same.]

Regards, P1   :8)

Bill Cravener

Hi anunitu,

For PC's I think Win 8 sucks. For tablets and other handhelds I suppose it would be ok. Since I do not own a tablet but do own a basic cellphone that I never use to serf with I'm just not knowledgeable as to how it will be in those situations.
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

donkey

Quote from: Bill Cravener on March 15, 2012, 06:51:40 PM
Hi anunitu,

For PC's I think Win 8 sucks. For tablets and other handhelds I suppose it would be ok. Since I do not own a tablet but do own a basic cellphone that I never use to serf with I'm just not knowledgeable as to how it will be in those situations.

Agreed that the UI is a pain in the arse but there is a nice utility to disable it here:

http://winaero.com/download.php?view.15

Once you get back the more standard desktop its actually not too bad, haven't figured out how to do it without this utility though. I hope that in the release version this feature is added.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

P1

Quote from: donkey on March 15, 2012, 09:06:01 PMAgreed that the UI is a pain in the arse but there is a nice utility to disable it here:
Once you get back the more standard desktop its actually not too bad, haven't figured out how to do it without this utility though. I hope that in the release version this feature is added.
Maybe using "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\Shell", pointing it to the older renamed explorer.exe.

The OS should not care what shell code is running, if one could tolerate the missing extended features of W8.

Of course, having a restore point is advisable.

I did this, for stand alone kiosk stations(shell replacement).

I kept a backdoor(In this case, a lnk to new shell on desktop.), for starting the current shell in the custom shell code for maintenance reasons.

Regards,  P1  :8)

donkey

Yeah, I have 2 virtual machines with Windows 8, one with MetroUI and one without. I will try to scan the registry for differences this weekend if I have time, I think you're right in that it should be a fairly simple setting or two. Nice that everything that runs on Win7 seems to be OK on Win8, no re-coding if you don't need the Metro stuff.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable