MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

rip off printer inks

Started by shankle, November 10, 2011, 08:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

Printer Hp Officejet L7580 all in one.
My next printer will be an all in one with NO color.
I understand that the black inks are cheaper than the colored ones.
Even though you specify the black or grey scale on my printer it uses colored
inks when starting up and the printer will NOT run when a color  ink cartridge
is empty. That's the pits.....
So, till I am ready to buy another printer, has anyone tried filing off the bottom of
a black cartridge so that it will fit in a colored slot????? :bg

The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

anunitu

I have the same issue with My Kodak all in one,I mainly wanted it for printing Docs in Black and white. I thought I could print with just the black cartridge,but it also needs the color one. As with you,next may be a laser,I read over all though they are more expensive,and the toner is also expensive,but from one toner cart you get about 1500 prints. Probubly better quality on the prints too.

Magnum

They probably have a chip in the cartridge that says what it is supposed to be, so filing it off won't help.

After my experiences with H.P. products, I will never again buy anything from H.P.

Have a great day,
                         Andy

shankle

to Anunitu: I haven't checked out the Lasers yet. Might be worth investigating.
                 They certainly have improved them by now...

to Magnum: I think you are probably right. But I would have to waste $15 on a black one to
                 find out. I have had bad experiences with HP also. The software for my printer was faulty from the beginning.
                 They had the nerve to charge me for help to fix their software. To many printer companies
                 out there for me to have to put up with their nonsense. The software for my printer is huge
                 and invasive. I don't want to hear about the printer unless I need it.  Not so with HP.
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

raymond

Many years ago, I used to have a Lexmark which I liked very much until they changed their source for producing their ink cartridges. When a small plastic piece broke in the printer, I was glad to junk it. Purchased an all-in-one Canon ($50 brand new complete with cartridges) with which I am extremely satisfied. (I actually have two Canon printers.)

I also print 99%+ of the time in black. I thus set up the default to black only for the printer. All I need is to keep the "color" cartridge (originally supplied with the printer) in its slot even if it is empty. Furthermore, you can buy a black ink refill kit for $20 with which you can refill the cartridge at least 10 times, compared to the cost of some $30-40 for a new cartridge! And the printer has the feature option of deep cleaning the cartridge nozzles. Canon will always be my choice.
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

mineiro

"unknown error" in epson .

SSC Service Utility allow you to do many amazing things with Your Epson printer
3) Freeze internal ink counters.
4) Reset internal ink counters even with empty cartridges.
7) Resetting of protection counter (even then it is already full).
http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

FORTRANS

Quote from: anunitu on November 10, 2011, 10:54:24 PM
I have the same issue with My Kodak all in one,I mainly wanted it for printing Docs in Black and white. I thought I could print with just the black cartridge,but it also needs the color one. As with you,next may be a laser,I read over all though they are more expensive,and the toner is also expensive,but from one toner cart you get about 1500 prints. Probably better quality on the prints too.

Hi,

After quite a few Canon color ink printers I decided to get
an HP 2550n color laser printer.  The Canons kept failing, dried
out, needed to be cleaned/unjammed.  Finally stopped working.
Anyone want some leftover BJC-620 cartridges?  Anyway we
used HP Color LaserJets at work, so I had a feel for what they
do.  The later ones have an artificial cartridge life, which is
counter-productive, but so did any other brand.  Idiots.

The other reason for the laser printer is that it supports
PostScript.  And that I now feel is a requirement for me.

The quality is mixed compared to the ink printers.  My
mother has a recent HP Ink/OfficeJet, and the color images
on special pager is a bit better than my LaserJet color.  When
it works that is.  Seems to fail a lot.  The laser has not screwed
up except for a jammed sheet once.  But, I may have
forgotten others?  Nah.

Regards,

Steve N.

it works

anunitu

Sometimes I really miss the old impact printers. They were mostly very easy to fix,and fairly reliable. They were noisy to be honest,but fairly cheap to run.

clive

Quote from: anunituAs with you,next may be a laser,I read over all though they are more expensive,and the toner is also expensive,but from one toner cart you get about 1500 prints. Probubly better quality on the prints too.

That might be true of the cheap consumer crap, but get a better built small-business class b&w laser, and the page yield is 5000 for a sub $100 toner cartridge. Laser printers have always been a better value proposition than ink-jet. I have a pair of HP2200D's that are pushing a decade old, leaving perhaps half a dozen dead/broken inkjets in their wake. The 4000 & 8000 series lasers at various business operation have all been work horses. Stay away from the 1000's consumer grade devices, they have always been cheaply built, with lower yield cartridges.

The consumer colour lasers, yeah you'll be feeding them toner, because the cartridges are hopelessly small. Consider, rationally, how much you use colour vs b&w for most of your output, and allocate funds accordingly.

Find the local guy who services printers/copiers, he likely knows the best workhorses, and probably trades in the used/off-lease markets on hardware he trusts.
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

Bill Cravener

The above post sounds like a spammer to me. :tdown
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

MichaelW

Bill,

I decided that it was spam and removed it.
eschew obfuscation