News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Defaul Debugger

Started by raleeper, August 13, 2011, 06:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raleeper

Is there a way to set the debugger that opens when a program crashes to be different from the one you use to initiate a debugging sesseion?

Thank you

baltoro

This is from: JOCHEN
Quote from: JOCHENIn development phase, by far the best option is to set Olly as your default debuffer: Options/Debugging/Just-in-time.
So when the error occurs, Olly pops up, you find yourself inside your own code, and Olly shows you exactly what happened.
Baltoro

raleeper

Quote from: baltoro on August 13, 2011, 06:29:51 PM
This is from: JOCHEN
Quote from: JOCHENIn development phase, by far the best option is to set Olly as your default debuffer: Options/Debugging/Just-in-time.
So when the error occurs, Olly pops up, you find yourself inside your own code, and Olly shows you exactly what happened.

OK..Thanks.

I don't know Olly, but maybe it's time I learned.

What "Options/" are you talking about?  Is that in the registry or administrative tools or what?

Thanks to both.

jj2007

Ral,

Options is in Olly's menu. Works great, just put an int 3 somewhere in your code and try to launch the exe....

raleeper

Quote from: jj2007 on August 13, 2011, 07:51:16 PM
Ral,

Options is in Olly's menu. Works great, just put an int 3 somewhere in your code and try to launch the exe....

OK. Thanks.

But that's not going to stop me from using "C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)\windbg.exe" -QY g:\lfw\lfw.exe -y g:\lfw

as the debugger I use for starting from square 1, is it??

I'm, satisfied enouigh with windbg not to want to change right now  Except that it's become almost totally worthless as a "just-in-time" [or whatever].
Fornow I'd really prefer to go back to DrWatson.  Is there a way to do that?

Thanks again.

Geryon

To me, unless you are going to debug some kernel mode things windbg is quite annoying.
"Some people have got a mental horizon of radius zero and call it their point of view." --D.Hilbert

raleeper

Quote from: Geryon on August 13, 2011, 09:55:27 PM
To me, unless you are going to debug some kernel mode things windbg is quite annoying.

I agree re annoying.  But I don't have time right now to stop and learn Olly

Thanks

jj2007

Quote from: raleeper on August 14, 2011, 12:51:36 AM
But I don't have time right now to stop and learn Olly

That problem is perfectly understood :bg

Still, dedicate an hour or so to give Olly a chance. It's like edlin (WinDbg) against Notepad (Olly).

What you really need is:
F9 run to the next int 3 or the next crash
F7 step by step
F8 same but don't dive into procedures, including APIs
Alt X exit

zemtex

Olly is very useful but it has very little support for different architectures. If you want a professional debugger or disassembler and the one professionals use, then you ought to get ida pro. Olly is childs play in comparison.
I like Olly though, and it usually stretches to my needs, but if you want to invest time in the right place, ida pro is probably a better deal. Learning a debugger takes time, don't waste time in the wrong places.
I have been puzzling with lego bricks all my life. I know how to do this. When Peter, at age 6 is competing with me, I find it extremely neccessary to show him that I can puzzle bricks better than him, because he is so damn talented that all that is called rational has gone haywire.

jj2007

Quote from: zemtex on August 14, 2011, 10:31:38 AM
Olly is very useful but it has very little support for different architectures.

Thanks, will remember that if I start programming under Linux.

zemtex

Quote from: jj2007 on August 14, 2011, 01:40:22 PM
Quote from: zemtex on August 14, 2011, 10:31:38 AM
Olly is very useful but it has very little support for different architectures.

Thanks, will remember that if I start programming under Linux.
computer architectures, not operating systems :)

Btw, it was for raleeper, he was the one who asked for help.  :dazzled:
I have been puzzling with lego bricks all my life. I know how to do this. When Peter, at age 6 is competing with me, I find it extremely neccessary to show him that I can puzzle bricks better than him, because he is so damn talented that all that is called rational has gone haywire.

lingo

I use WinDbg 64bit and Visual Studio Ultimate 2010 - SP1 (it has AVX and AVX Float registers (see the Pic1)
I use IDA and Hiew as an assisting progs too.      
About Olly: Don't invest in progs with ONE programmer only...Just remember what happened with SoftIce... :wink

jj2007

Quote from: lingo on August 14, 2011, 04:39:29 PM
Don't invest in progs with ONE programmer only...Just remember what happened with SoftIce... :wink

Don't trust progs that rely on many programmers - just look what happened with Windoze :green2

raleeper

Quote from: zemtex on August 14, 2011, 02:41:27 PM
Btw, it was for raleeper, he was the one who asked for help.  :dazzled:

I've pretty much stopped following this topic.  My original question was probably not a good one for here, probably not well worded, and definitely not being addressed.  WinDbg used to work in a satisfactory way as the default debugger (that opens when a program crashes).  It is still OK from the command line, but worthless on a crash.  So I wanted to change one or more windows xp settings to have Dr. Watson (for now) come up on a crash, but still be able to start WinDbg from a shortcut w/ command line.

But I'm just going to un- and re-install Debugging Tools for Windows.

Thanks, ral