News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Starting DOS from USB drive

Started by Gunther, September 06, 2010, 11:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunther

Quote from: sinsi, September 20, 2010, at 01:36:32 PMThere is a settting in the BIOS for legacy USB for the mouse and keyboard, enable it and they should both show up as PS/2 devices.

Yes, I know. It's enabled and the mouse pointer doesn't react.

Gunther
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Gunther

Hallo japheth,

QuoteBtw, here's a sample how to switch to long-mode from DOS and back: http://www.japheth.de/JWasm/Dos64.html

Btw, the program prints out on my DOS: Hello 64bit and hangs. There's something wrong.

Gunther

japheth

Quote from: Gunther on September 20, 2010, 11:28:22 PM
Btw, the program prints out on my DOS: Hello 64bit and hangs. There's something wrong.

Are you sure it "hangs"? Because, it is supposed to wait in long mode for a key press. ESC will/should return to DOS, 'r' displays some register contents. Keyboard polling is done at the port level, so you'll have to have a standard keyboard - or a USB one in legacy mode - attached.

Gunther

Quote from: japheth, September 21, 2010, 06:57:21 amAre you sure it "hangs"? Because, it is supposed to wait in long mode for a key press. ESC will/should return to DOS, 'r' displays some register contents. Keyboard polling is done at the port level, so you'll have to have a standard keyboard - or a USB one in legacy mode - attached.

It seems that this is the problem with my old Siemens notebook (BIOS to old). With the newer Toshiba notebook, the application does the job properly.

Gunther