News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

about FASM

Started by shankle, February 19, 2009, 12:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

I know my knowledge of Ubuntu and Fasm is sparse.  On the otherhand I've spent 8 hours trying to compile a 12 line proggie on FASM.
I am finding the people on the FASM board either don't answer or give sparse info. Actually I get more help on the Ubuntu forum.
I know you are saying why don't you figure it out yourself. IMHO that's not the proper way to go about learning a new subject.
My method is to pick up a book like "FASM for dummies" and then go on to a more complex book on the subject. Now I should have a basis for starting a simple program. It's not at all like that with FASM. For Instance, I just found out about the "command shell"  today which is a must
learning thing for Ubuntu. Maybe it's my lack of knowledge of FASM but I swear there is no GUI for it. My little proggie prints on the screen
in what looks like the old Basic language "1st Proggie". At this point I have no idea how to change fonts  or the position on the screen or
change colors. In fact I don't see any evidence that FASM handles these items. It must, so it's off to do the detective works to find some
tutorial on it. What a way to learn a language.  Also there is no .exe module. Suppose I wanted to market this little program. Does FASM
create an .exe module that can be passed to a potential user?
After all the above Rant maybe someone on this board could straighten me out and reaffirm  my confidence in FASM.
I know I've read many things about the Microsoft/Linux debate but I think it also pays to have your eggs in more than one basket.
I would appreciate some FASM orientated persons comments before I give up.
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

sinsi

Why don't you try FASM in windows first, to get an idea of the syntax, then try in linux.
Are you phenix?
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

shankle

Hi Sinsi,
Yes that's me.
I'll give it a whirl in Windows
Thanks

hutch--

Jack,

Have a look at the FASM forum, there are a lot of people there who know FASM well so they may be able to help you.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

PBrennick

Hutch,
Did you even read his post? He wrote:

QuoteI am finding the people on the FASM board either don't answer or give sparse info.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

hutch--

:bg

Paul,

With the age of my eyesight, large blocks of unpunctuated text are hard to read so I tend to skim the contents. I REALLY DO like text that has PARAGRAPHS as I read it much better and much faster.

Jack,

I know you are saying why don't you figure it out yourself. IMHO that's not the proper way to go about learning a new subject.

This is more a UNIX phenomenon than just FASM. With anything to do with UNIX you are already supposed to know how to do everything and if you don't you get treated like an idiot. Where I have to deal with anything UNIX I search the internet for it rather than wait for some DUMBPHUK who would rather keep it to themselves wasting my time.

japheth

Quote from: hutch-- on February 22, 2009, 10:22:53 AM
This is more a UNIX phenomenon than just FASM. With anything to do with UNIX you are already supposed to know how to do everything and if you don't you get treated like an idiot. Where I have to deal with anything UNIX I search the internet for it rather than wait for some DUMBPHUK who would rather keep it to themselves wasting my time.

Hm, if I had the choice

a) to be treated politely, but the person who answers my questions won't read them at all    OR
b) to be treated like an idiot, but at least my questions are read and therefore there's a chance for correct answers

then I'll probably will choose option b).

hutch--

:bg

Here is a man who has never asked a question in a UNIX forum.

a) to be treated politely, but the person who answers my questions won't read them at all    OR
b) to be treated like an idiot, but at least my questions are read and therefore there's a chance for correct answers

Here are the other options,

c) Be treated like an idiot and abused for asking the question.
d) Be ignored then insulted for asking the question again.
e) be treated like an idiot then ignored etc etc ....

Go to a UNIX forum and experience the diference.  :cheekygreen:

shankle

I'm trying to put more grease on my back as I need it on the Linux forums.
I just try to ignore the impudence and assume it's coming from some kid whose had computers 101
and written 2 programs and now assumes the status of Genius. I had such an experience on the
NASM board. One punk telling me that I should take up knitting when I would prefer basket weaving
and another gentleman that had retired from the field and gave what I consider an intelligent and
friendly response. I totally ignored the punk.  That's all you can do with this type of person. It'll take
them years to find out they don't know everything. I don't know very much about Ubuntu (2% working on 3%)
but I hope to increase that to at least 5% shortly. I guess I am spoiled by Windows and Masm32 because
Ubuntu is orientated around the line commands (approx 50,000) of them and I consider this an obsolete
way of doing things. When I'm doing something I am more interested in what I am doing instead of having
to go look up some line command.
Sorry for the rant.
jps

PBrennick

Jack,

Two things:

QuoteUbuntu is orientated around the line commands (approx 50,000) of them and I consider this an obsolete
way of doing things. When I'm doing something I am more interested in what I am doing instead of having
to go look up some line command.

This is not going to change, ever. So you learn it or leave it. Why struggle for something that is not going to reap you much in the way of rewards as you are clearly a GUI minded individual.

2. You are struggling in an unwinnable situation. The FASM guys know very little about UNIX (or whatever you wish to call it today) and the LINUX guys all pretty much program in C and look down their noses at those who don't.

While Windows is also a C++ oriented experience (with a modicum of PASCAL just for grins) you can, at least, stumble into some guys who share your dream of programming in assembly and will help.

This is an old, old story that always needs to be re-told for some reason. About your desire to be able to create an EXE that will run in a native UNIX environment; for God's sake man, tell NO ONE over there about that one. You will be branded as an idiot forever!

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

shankle

Thanks Paul for you good advice.
So if  am reading you correctly I should drop all attempts at programming related to Linux.
I was thinking that "Sol_Asm"  would at least solve the Assembler compatibility problems.
From the little experience I've had with Ubuntu, IMHO, it  will take them 10 or more years
to get up to date.
So I'll stop trying to program anything on Linux and use the HD I already  have set for  Ubuntu
solely for doing Email and web browsing. This should cut down my vulnerability to viruses
and such in Windows. I have all the necessary programs to do that in Windows and am a
maintenance fanatic.
Regards
Jack

ChrisLeslie

QuoteHere are the other options,

Code:
c) Be treated like an idiot and abused for asking the question.
d) Be ignored then insulted for asking the question again.
e) be treated like an idiot then ignored etc etc ....

Go to a UNIX forum and experience the diference. 

The one that get me is, in a popular java forum, when a question is asked about something that java can't do, then be told that you are stupid to want your program to do such a thing.

BogdanOntanu

I was thinking that "Sol_Asm"  would at least solve the Assembler compatibility problems.
From the little experience I've had with Ubuntu, IMHO, it  will take them 10 or more years
to get up to date.

Assumning that you intended to link Sol_ASM with C lib on Ubuntu using the ELF OBJ I have provided in the release...  then this command would have helped:

Link with this command:
gcc sol_asm2_unix_elf.obj -o sol_asm2.exe

Test run the created executable:
./sol_asm2.exe

Of course this assumes that your Ubuntu installation has GCC installed.
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

xmetal

Quote from: BogdanOntanu on March 16, 2009, 04:29:31 AM

Link with this command:
gcc sol_asm2_unix_elf.obj -o sol_asm2.exe

Test run the created executable:
./sol_asm2.exe

Bogdan probably wrote it that way to make it seem "familiar" to you, shankle, however, note that for UNIX and its derivatives, file extentions are usually irrelevant; the permissions, content and type of file are what really matter.

mitchi

I've tested Sol_Asm on my SUSE linux and it works really well ! I was able to compile SOL_ASM and the native code example. I wasn't able to compile the libc example for some reason, I might be missing a dependency...
:bg. I really wonder how can you achieve this portability, you're not even using libc on Windows !!!!! I see you using WriteFile, ReadFile, globalalloc but when you're on Linux what happens ?