Quote from: Ghirai on August 13, 2008, 03:24:06 PM
a decent AV :U

Hi Ghirai,
             Could you give me one link to get it free, please
Thanks
Rui

Vortex

RuiLoureiro ,

As Ghirai said, it's a false positive. Some codes can trigger the heuristics analysis.

A powerful and free antivirus : Avira AntiVir Personal

RuiLoureiro

Hi Vortex,
                Thank you for your help.
                 But it doesnt solve the problem because  Avira AntiVir Personal  was that found
                 the virus and you know what it does with it: delete, quarentine, etc.
                 It warns me the file had a virus Dropper.Gen and another ???
                 Is there another free AV, good

In any case, thanks
Rui
           EDIT: i posted an image

[attachment deleted by admin]

Vortex

Hi RuiLoureiro,

Is it the Extractor ( \GeneSys\examples\Extractor ) example triggering the AV software? I am using Avira and I get the same alert but you can ignore it. The Extractor example has full source code and does not contain any malicious code.

RuiLoureiro

Quote from: Vortex on August 13, 2008, 06:14:05 PM
Is it the Extractor ( \GeneSys\examples\Extractor ) example triggering the AV software?

First it was in the file GeneSys.Zip and i tested some other files and i found it
               in Data.rar  too. I didnt test Extractor till now. I am running another AV just now.

Rui

PBrennick

Rui,
Data.rar contains all the examples so it will certainly yeild the same results. It is a false positive and should be reported as such to the distributor of the antiVirus software. If it is a certain sequence of opcodes that they are searching for they may not help but there are certainly no virus' in our code. Perhaps it does not like the fact that an EXE is being written to.

-- Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

lingo

Thanks RuiLoureiro for alert,

I use Avast Antivirus v.4.8 and I get the same virus alert
Next I recompiled the source (because I'm not lazy and irresponsible as some people here)
and received the new Extractor.exe without viruses.(see attached file)

PBrennick

Lingo,

It really is not fair to say that I am lazy. I was unaware of the problem. Thanks to your nice efforts, though, I will do an upload right away.

Thank you for the help.
-- Paul

RuiLoureiro

Lingo,
          I did an alert only. Nothing else. It is not good an AV tell us there is a virus in our files,
          whithout our Knowledge.

Hi Paul,
          I can tell you i ran another AV and it didnt give me any virus report anywhere
          ( Ad-Aware 2008 free ). There's no problem.

Rui

Vortex

Lingo,

Once again, you are demonstrating your "supposed professionalism" : the executable you created is immediately caught by Avira. It's not enough to test with only one AV software.

The next time you talk about nonsense in this subforum, your post will be edited without warning.

This new version of Extractor is now supported by Jeremy Collake's compression software. It's a simple SFX archive dumping the child executable to disc. Avira does not release now a false positive with this new demo.

PBrennick

Rui,

Please be aware that the editor in that package is not the newest ones and has some problems with console builds. You can download the most recent from my web site or wait until tomorrow when the archive is replaced. The new installation will be available from Ghirai (the address in my signature) as usual.

Vortex,
Because I do not like positives or false positives because it drives potential users away, I have decided to do the major release instead of the patch. I have added all the new tools and examples but have not implemented the updated build method for the definition files as your notes to me were unclear as to whether I need to modify setup.exe or not. The installation will be valid, either way, anyway.

-- Paul

Vortex

Paul,

It's the heuristics module of the AV software causing this issue. It's possible to avoid those false positives by applying other programming methods.

Vortex

With thanks to RuiLoureiro who tested the new Extractor version, the case is over. No any false positive.