News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

A new linker : Wlink

Started by Vortex, June 01, 2008, 10:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortex

Wlink is a linker supporting both MS COFF and OMF formats. It can be obtained from his website :

http://japheth.de/Download/wlink18b.ZIP

The tool uses an initialization file named wlink.lnk to define the windows subsystems and set the paths pointing the import libraries.

Thanks to Japheth informing the community about this powerfull tool.

[attachment deleted by admin]

PBrennick

Vortex,
There are a lot of references to WATCOM in the .lnk file. Does it need to be installed? Also, why these?

system begin dos
    libpath %WATCOM%/lib286
    libpath %WATCOM%/lib286/dos
    format dos ^
end
system begin com
    option osname='DOS .COM'
    libpath %WATCOM%/lib286
    libpath %WATCOM%/lib286/dos
    libfile cstart_t.obj
    format dos com
end
system begin dos4g
    option osname='DOS/4G'
    libpath %WATCOM%/lib386
    libpath %WATCOM%/lib386/dos
    op stub=wstub.exe
    format os2 le
end

Your friend,
Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

Vortex

Hi Paul,

Naturally, there is no need for the references to Watcom if you wish to build only Win32 executables. I didn't delete those references because it would be good to inform the user about the capabilities of this tool.

Vortex

Here is a console example built with Masm and Wlink.

[attachment deleted by admin]

japheth

Hi Vortex,

Quote from: Vortex on June 01, 2008, 10:07:57 AM
Jwlink is a linker supporting both MS COFF and OMF formats. It's maintained by Japheth and can be obtained from his website :

http://japheth.de/Download/wlink18b.ZIP

The tool uses an initialization file named wlink.lnk to define the windows subsystems and set the paths pointing the import libraries.

With thanks to Japheth for maintaing the tool, I created a GeneSys example linked with Jwlink.

please let me correct some of these infos:

- the name is WLINK, not JWLINK
- I didn't do any modifications to the source nor the binary and don't "maintain" this tool. It's pure OW.
- the reason why I offer it on my site for download is that the current WLINK contained in Open Watcom 1.7 has a severe bug concerning COFF libs. The bug has been fixed by OW developers in the meantime, but to get the binary from the original source you have to download the source package and compile it.

Japheth

PBrennick

Japheth,
Thanks for the clarification, I was pretty sure that was the case. I have, also, been playing with JWASM and I find that Assembler to be a most interesting thing. In fact, I like it very much (not that you need 'my' endorsement. Someday, we really must talk.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

Vortex

Japheth,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Postings edited to reflect the correct name.

japheth

> In fact, I like it very much

Thanks, Paul, appreciated!

> Wlink is a linker supporting both MS COFF and OMF formats.

It also supports ELF. No problem to create a valid Linux binary with WLink. What I didn't have time to find out is if it will also easily accept static libs from Linux. A nice X "hello world" sample using the X libraries and WLink would be a cool addition for the JWasm package.