News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Wizards

Started by newAsm, February 18, 2008, 02:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newAsm

Congratulations to WinAsm. I like it very much and I find that it is easier to write in assembly.

I have just started using it and it's now about a week and hopefully, you don't mind some suggestions:

1.  I like the ability to re-size the control as this is not possible in RadAsm (which I am also new to it).
2.  There is no wizard. I am using the stable version. I use RadAsm to create the project. I find that QEdit's ProStart is also useful in creating Win32 projects but none in WinAsm.
3.  Visually, the IDE is pleasant to the eye and I get crossed eye by RadAsm colour scheme.

I also notice a few things:

1.  Assembling is slower in WinAsm versus using QEditor. It gets into minutes if I define a large memory e.g. 128KBytes in the data? segment. Why? Is there a remedy?

I am wondering whether it is possible to have wizards to create a new project?

Thanks..newAsm

Jimg

Please try this addin http://www.winasm.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15 to see if it's what you want.

There should be no difference assembling time between WinAsm studio and QEditor, they both use masm to assemble.  Unless you have extremely limited free memory?  Perhaps you have some project settings that need adjustment.  If you upload a sample project that has the problem over at  http://www.winasm.net/forum/index.php, you will find several very knowledgeable people to help you.

PBrennick

Chances are it is a memory issue (you need more), because you must remember that WINASM is an IDE and uses more resources. There is absolutlely nothing wrong with that fact but you can't get something for nothing. If you cannot afford more memory, make sure you are not running any unessential programs/processes while running WINASM. WINASM is very stable and works very well.

-- Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

jj2007

Quote from: newAsm on February 18, 2008, 02:12:48 PM
Assembling is slower in WinAsm versus using QEditor. It gets into minutes if I define a large memory e.g. 128KBytes in the data? segment. Why?

It's not WinAsm, but rather an old ml.exe bug. See this thread.

EDIT: MichaelW's workaround, timing for 1 GB:
*** Assembling and linking took 38094 milliseconds ***
02.09.2008  21:39             2,560 BufInData.exe

include \masm32\include\masm32rt.inc ; http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=8602.msg62640#msg62640

bssbuf MACRO ln
      LOCAL lbl
      .data?
        lbl label byte
        org $+ln-1
        db ?
      .code
      EXITM <OFFSET lbl>
    ENDM

.code
; «««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««
start:
    BufSize equ 1000000000
    mov edi, bssbuf(BufSize)
    xor ebx, ebx
    .WHILE ebx < BufSize
      mov BYTE PTR[edi+ebx], 255
      movzx eax, BYTE PTR[edi+ebx]
      .IF eax != 255
        print "oops",13,10
      .ENDIF
      inc ebx
    .ENDW
    inkey "Press any key to exit..."
    exit
end start

PBrennick

JJ,
That is one VERY nasty bug that I had forgotten all about as I seldom define huge data blocks. I added this line to my editor:

szTest          db  1000000 dup (?)

... and it took over 4 minutes to assemble.

JWASM.EXE, however, does a much better job with it, it assembled in 1531 ms.!!

More and more, I am looking to Japheth's tool to do my work.
-- Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website