MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

ollydbg

Started by ecube, October 07, 2006, 07:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortex

Hi Jochen,

Me too, I am using the debugger dating 23.05.2004, it's V1.1  Probably, the later versions of ml.exe and link.exe are designed to create a different version of debug information. This is why you may have problems with Ollydbg. If you wish to view the source code, Pelles IDE is another good alternative for debugging.

jj2007

Hi Erol,

I prefer Olly 2.0, but it does not know about symbols. Version 1.1 works fine in general, but it's a pity that Oleh has not implemented a newer version that would work with versions of ml and link that understand SSE2...

Vortex

Hi Jochen,

I share the same opinion with you. Ollydbg lacks the flexibility to work with the later versions of MS tools. Attached is a debugging session with Pelles C IDE displaying both the source code and the disassembled code.

QuoteStart Pelles C IDE.
File -> Open -> Select the EXE to debug.
Hit F5 to start the debugging session.
Select the command line arguments

[attachment deleted by admin]

dedndave

shouldn't be too difficult to convert debug info between formats, eh ?

Mark Jones

Unfortunately Dave, the .PDB file details are unpublished, and MS likes to change it occasionally. :'(
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

redskull

I found the 'trick' with Olly is you have to double click the source line itself, not the 'source' window.  To explain a little further

1. Build with the switches (/Zi /Zd for ML, /DEBUG /PDB /RELEASE for link), and make sure the appropriate boxes are set in the Olly options
2. Load up Olly, start debugging
3. In the CPU window, underneath where the dissassembly is (but before the memory dump), you should see the cooresponding source code line in light gray
4. Double click *that* line, and the source should open in a new window, and you can then follow along.

I don't know if it's just my version, or a bug, or what, but I couldn't get it to work any 'normal' way.  After you do this, you should be able to open and close it via the 'S' button.

-r
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

Vortex

Hi redskull,

That's a know trick working in Ollydbg V1.1

dedndave

QuoteUnfortunately Dave, the .PDB file details are unpublished, and MS likes to change it occasionally.
Mark,
That is exactly how i used to feel about OBJ files, until Vortex pointed me in the right direction - lol
Here is how I look at it: Oleh had to get his information someplace
Even if his information is out of date or incomplete, it is what he used to write his debugger

Now, you will all get a nice chuckle when i tell you what i did back in the old days
I disassembled the linker to figure out what i could about OBJ files - lol
It was a lot of work, back then, but my curiosity wasn't quenched until i found out
Actually, i disassembled most of DOS ver's 1.12, 2.10, and 3.30/3.31
i even disassembled SymDeb that came with MASM 5.10 - lol - modified it for my own use, too

i used my modified SymDeb and PcWrite to do the disassembly - lol
oh - and i wrote some programs along the way to help resolve code/data addresses and create labels