MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Project GeneSys

Started by PBrennick, July 15, 2006, 03:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdoe

Hi,

After giving a look in \def folder and at Build.bat I couldn't resist to rewrite this batch to avoid having to type all the *.def in there which is IMHO not necessary.

@ECHO OFF
ECHO.

FOR %%L IN (*.def) DO (
DEF2INC.EXE %%L
..\bin\POLIB.EXE /MACHINE:IX86 /DEF:%%L /OUT:%%~nL.lib)

ECHO.
MOVE /Y *.inc ..\include\
ECHO.
MOVE /Y *.lib ..\lib\
ECHO.

ECHO The package has been successfully installed.  Enjoy!
ECHO.

PAUSE

PBrennick

jdoe,
DOS is definitely not my strong point, as you can see. I will test that and will definitely use it.  I like the look of it, nice and clean.  Many thanks for this help!

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

jdoe

Quote from: PBrennick on July 25, 2006, 04:39:51 PM
jdoe,
DOS is definitely not my strong point, as you can see. I will test that and will definitely use it.  I like the look of it, nice and clean.  Many thanks for this help!

Paul

In fact, it's not really a problem to add new lines into Build.bat when there is new *.def but having a batch for all, that you don't need to edit, make it easier when you add new def in the folder and it avoid typo error (missing *.inc or *.lib).

Feel free to use or change it as you wish.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I read the posts in the "Project GeneSys" as they appears and I notice that the project seem to taking shape as the time go by. I could be wrong but wouldn't be better to define the project at the beginning and build around that limit instead of building the limit around the project. I feel that GeneSys will take few directions before finding the good one. This is my feeling.

Anyway, you guys have lots of experience and you know what your doing.

I'm waiting to see the advantage over MASM32. Good luck.

Mark Jones

Quote from: PBrennick on July 22, 2006, 01:55:39 AM
Ramon Sala has given me permission to add his IDE into our project.  This is a welcome addition.  Thank you, Ramon!  For those of our userbase who prefer to use Ketilo's excellent IDE, the GeneSys Project will always be a separate download and will be usable with Ketilo's IDE.

Thanks Ramon! :)

Just to mention, I have been working on a RadASM profile for Genesys and it is nearly complete. It should be ready shortly.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

PBrennick

jdoe,

I'm waiting to see the advantage over MASM32.
I think you have gotten confused, here, as there will be no advantage over masm32, or over any other package that does a similar job. The GeneSys project is targeting beginners and it will be not a clone of the masm32 package. One of the main differences with the masm32 package is that we are going to supply an IDE, Easycode. We are also including the templates used for integration with Radasm. The second one: we will be putting some interesting tutorials to specificly support beginners to Assembly Language programming. There might be some resemblances with Hutch's work but almost all the various assembly packages that do the same job are providing similar material: run-time libraries, include files, editors , example codes, manuals etc.  These similarities will always exist and should not be seen in any other context than the one that I have just put forward

Thank you for your contribution to our project.  Everyone who contributes something will be making this a better project.  'You' have made this a better project.

Paul

jdoe

Quote from: PBrennick on July 26, 2006, 11:20:47 AM
Thank you for your contribution to our project.  Everyone who contributes something will be making this a better project.  'You' have made this a better project.

That was a small contribution but if you look at http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=5338.0, I post few string functions that could be a more valuable contribution. All of them return the character count which is IMO a must.

Vortex

Hi Jfoe,

Thanks for your algos. The functions handling UNICODE strings are very usefull. Can we put your functions to the package?

jdoe

Quote from: Vortex on July 26, 2006, 04:58:14 PM
Hi Jfoe,

Thanks for your algos. The functions handling UNICODE strings are very usefull. Can we put your functions to the package?

Vortex,

If they are useful for your package, of course you can.
I will look in my library if some of my other functions could fit your package.

Functions like...

GetParentFolderA / GetParentFolderW
GetPathExtensionA / GetPathExtensionW
GetPathNameA / GetPathNameW
BrowseForFolderA / BrowseForFolderW
BrowseSaveAsA / BrowseSaveAsW
SetClipboardText
GetClipboardText

I'll post them this week-end

:U

PBrennick

jdoe,
Thank you for your help.  We all appreciate it.  What you said about character count (so as to prevent buffer overrun).  You have a good point and a good method, there.

Paul

Mark Jones

Yes jdoe, those are definitely useful. Thanks for sharing. :U
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

gabor

Hello Project GeneSys!

I would like to contribute too. Although I still have some projects in the making I have some releases as well that may be interested for this project:
- Automaton library including finite state machine and extended state machine.
- SAX like XML parser library (will be improved by DOM parsing).

Both projects zipped can be found in this thread:
http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=2173.0
The zips should contain explanatory documents too.

I am working on a library of linked lists and linked arrays, when ready I would offer them too.

Greets, Gábor

PBrennick

Gabor,
I have been following your posts on FSM for some time now as it is something that interests me. We communicated using my Rifleman account.  Having said that, though, I am sorry to say that the GeneSys Project is geared towards individuals who are new to assmbly language programming and, as you well know, FSM is an advanced concept.

Still, you 'can' help if you so desire.  Look through your archives, do you have any useful functions that would help others?  If you do, I will add them to the library.

PBrennick (and Vortex) for the GeneSys Project

zcoder

I have 1000's of code that would help, But I have no Idea of the layout of IDE's like , Easycode or RadAsm
So I don't know how to convert them to these IDE's.

Zcoder....
Back in 1979, My computer ran so fine.
And there was no such thing,
As a Microsoft Crashed Machine.
http://zcoder.110mb.com
http://www.dietzel.com/partner/idevaffiliate.php?id=345_6  Free Domain Names

PBrennick

ZCoder,
While it is nice that these IDEs support GeneSys, we are not bound by them.  So if you have thousands of code, why don't you post some?
Paul

Vortex

Zcoder,

You are welcomed to contribute the GeneSys project. You can post your algos here.