MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Introduction

Started by Ryan, May 10, 2012, 12:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

Hi.  My name is Ryan.

I went to school for computer programming.  I had VB 6, C++ 6, and Java classes.  I graduated in 2003.  I had a programming job for about a year and half where we focused on VB 6.  It was a small company; just my boss and I.  He hired me to help him with a project.  It was mostly a custom inventory system with other parts mixed in.  The project came to an end; we had something else lined up, but it fell through and I got laid off.  While there, we started to ease into VB.NET.  After I left, I continued to learn VB.NET and C#.

I tried to stick with finding another programming job, but I ended up getting a job in a warehouse doing basic, non-computer related tasks.  I am now working in the family business.  It isn't programming, but I have used my programming background to simplify some of the computer tasks.

About 3 months ago, I decided to learn Windows programming in C++.  I only learned how to program console apps in school.  Learning how to use the Win32 API has greatly helped me understand more of what is going on when a program is running.  I was able to download a few very nice tutorials.  As I was debugging and stepping through a program I had written in C++, the debugger stepped into the assembly of one of the functions I called.  Since I felt so good about how learning Windows programming in C++, I decided I wanted to learn assembly.

jj2007

Hi Ryan,

Nice to have you here :thumbu
Modern assembly is a very special, powerful language. The "M" in Masm stands for "Macro", and makes it very versatile - you can make it look like C or like Basic or like any other language you like. Have a look at the "recommended reading" reading of Tips, Tricks & Traps, and get Iczelion's tutorials - that should be enough for a start.

And be careful not to spend too much time on assembler - it's addictive, and lack of sleep is no good for a family business :wink

Cheers, jj

Ryan

Hi jj!

I am using MASM in my learning process.  I've also been through the first 5 or so of Iczelion's tutorials.  Those rank very highly on Google searches.

jj2007

I have seen your sudoku code - remarkable start :U

Check if you cannot create a few fonts once, and assign them later. At present, you are not using DeleteObject for the fonts,that could be a source of problems after a while.

dedndave

welcome on board, Ryan   :U

mineiro

Welcome Sr Ryan
Assembly is not hard, this language only need dedication.
When I have joined this forum, I was thinking that I know assembly, so far, I have learned so much with GrandMasters here, and I'm still learning.
Macros from some persons, optimization of anothers, organization of code of others, hints and advices of experient programmers, ..., and in the end, I have forgot about my fear to try to talk in english language.
Again, welcome.

DWORD

Welcome to the MASM forum, dude  :U

daydreamer

Vortex

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the forum.

donkey

Welcome to the forum Ryan.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable