Windows Media Center will cost extra in Windows 8

Started by GregL, May 05, 2012, 05:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

A big reason not to upgrade to Windows 8 unless you have to.  Windows Media Center will only be available as an additional cost add-on.  In addition Windows Media Player will no longer play DVDs, although WMC will.  As in Windows 7, WMC will not play Blu-ray discs, I was hoping it would, so much for progress.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/03/making-windows-media-center-available-in-windows-8.aspx

dedndave

that sucks
they want everyone to give them more money - as if they don't already have enough

jj2007

It's just part one of a series:

- making-windows-media-center-available-in-windows-8.aspx
- making-the-keyboard-available-in-windows-8.aspx
- making-the-display-available-in-windows-8.aspx

So Microsoft found a new business model, congrats :U

dedndave

what ?????
no optional internet access capability ?   :dazzled:
that's where the money is at
oops - let's not give them any ideas

donkey

Quote from: dedndave on May 05, 2012, 08:09:33 PM
that sucks
they want everyone to give them more money - as if they don't already have enough

I don't think so, for years Microsoft has screwed its developers by giving away for free what their partners were making a living off of. Look at VirtualPC and how it hurt VMWare, or Microsoft Security Essentials and how its chipping away at long time partners like Symantec. Microsoft had to eventually come to the realization that it needs these developers to make money in order to keep the flow of quality software that sets Windows ahead of every other OS. It's about time they've stopped competing directly with their third party developers and started to make a platform that can be used to develop truly innovative software.

Hats off to MS for this one, they have finally woke up and realized that there might be other companies in the world.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

oex

Quote from: donkey on May 05, 2012, 10:40:23 PM
Hats off to MS for this one, they have finally woke up and realized that there might be other companies in the world.

Or.... Now that they have decimated the competition they can charge and then they can again look generous in 10 years giving everything away for free
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

donkey

Quote from: oex on May 05, 2012, 11:21:49 PM
Quote from: donkey on May 05, 2012, 10:40:23 PM

Or.... Now that they have decimated the competition they can charge and then they can again look generous in 10 years giving everything away for free

Not like they are the only place to get the software, Firefox, MPC, VLC, and others ad infinitum. If you want the free stuff it's still there and available, I can't see anything but good coming from this. Maybe Microsoft will start to concentrate on their core business again instead of putting others out of business. Those same people who whinged about the quality and security of Microsoft software and touted the advantages of other third party replacements are now whinging because Microsoft has decided to re-open the marketplace and allow some other companies to make a few bucks.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

jj2007

Quote from: donkey on May 05, 2012, 10:40:23 PM...it needs these developers to make money in order to keep the flow of quality software that sets Windows ahead of every other OS.

Interesting points, Edgar :U

GregL

You have a good point donkey, but it's not going to make me want to upgrade to Windows 8 when something that was built in to Windows 7 now costs extra.

GregL

Once Microsoft decides to include a feature like Windows Media Center in Windows, they should continue to include it in Windows.  A lot of people (myself included) have built Media Center PCs around Windows Media Center and making it a separate download that costs extra really stinks.  I do see donkey's point, but once it's a part of Windows it should stay a part of Windows.  No other third party software even comes close to the features and quality of WMC anyway.

Also, by removing DVD playback from Windows Media Player, they are forcing even more people to buy Windows Media Center if they want DVD playback.

Unlike Windows 7, I am not very thrilled with Windows 8. The only way I will buy it is if I have to, i.e. if I buy a tablet or PC that comes with it.