MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Win7 Pro

Started by vanjast, April 11, 2012, 06:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanjast

Mann!! am I having an irritating time with Win7.. :eek

My pc's were on, laptop and desktop with XP, my new toy on Win7... and the power utility goes phutt!!.
Work out that our bread toaster is now 'earthing'.. so time to restart PCs

Laptops fine as it has battery 'backup', and desktop starts np. But sh1t ..  win7 has now just 'climbed down a dark hole'.. cannot boot... nothing  :tdown
Try safe modes, backups, repairs and restore points...zippo.. GREAT!!! - I wonder why they bother with such things?
.. and then a link to microsoft help desk  :dazzled: :boohoo: :clap:

One thing at least worked from the install disk was the command line interpreter, and I could xcopy all my important stuff to my USB drive.
Good ole DOS.. I wonder if they'll ever get rid of it... I'll advise not too. :wink

A good disk format and install later and I'm good to go... except.. Now I want to minimise my system and services..you know the 'CONTROL' thingy..
Pop along into the services controller and then I discover that there's such a web of service dependencies, that when you disable one service that looks irrelevant.. it bombs something else..Arrrgghhhh!!! XP is so simple.

Question... is there a Win7 Pro service dependency listing somewhere - something like a diagram that I can print.
I suppose I could work it out from the Services thing but this would be a last resort.  :bg
:wink

baltoro

I've always wondered why Microsoft doesn't write a number of internal state monitoring programs that users can use to determine when the operating system is unstable, or has a number of references to mysterious COM-like object dependencies that cause weird crashes or data corruption when the die without warning,...that just annoys the hell out of you. Reading crash dump reports is way too complicated for the average human.
Baltoro

vanjast

After looking around I found this site http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

Requires a bit of reading to work it out... so I'll be busy..
:8)

zemtex

Robocopy is a good thing.
I have been puzzling with lego bricks all my life. I know how to do this. When Peter, at age 6 is competing with me, I find it extremely neccessary to show him that I can puzzle bricks better than him, because he is so damn talented that all that is called rational has gone haywire.

vanjast

Quote from: zemtex on April 12, 2012, 05:57:57 AM
Robocopy is a good thing.
Didn't know about that... see an 'young' dog can always learn new tricks.  :green2

I'll hang onto this as I don't want to copy all the acl's and things as I throw my files around 'willy nilly' between 3 computers
Thanks

zemtex

IF you use system recovery you can fix many problems, but beware that it will also remove executables and dll's. So don't be surprised if you find that your masm programs are gone afterwards, your source code will be there but exe and dll's will probably be gone.
Use sfc.exe to verify system files, use sfc.exe /scannow to repair system files. When that is done you can also reset and reinstall tcp/ip by doing "netsh int ip reset"

That should be a good start.

Btw, Robocopy is more complex and robust than xcopy, it is designed to copy files that are normally hard to copy. Robocopy is an alias for Robust copy. It is an excellent tool for making advanced and customized backups of system files, and it never fails, it keeps retrying for months to finish a copy, even if you restart your computer it can continue where you left it.
I have been puzzling with lego bricks all my life. I know how to do this. When Peter, at age 6 is competing with me, I find it extremely neccessary to show him that I can puzzle bricks better than him, because he is so damn talented that all that is called rational has gone haywire.

dedndave

nah - they pinched the name from the movie   :bg

zemtex

vanjast

Quote from: zemtex on April 12, 2012, 07:20:54 PM
.. it keeps retrying for months to finish a copy..
That might be a problem on it own... not knowing when to give up
Probably a 'stubborn old git'.. Hmmm!!!  now where have I seen that before ?? :bg
Only joking  :wink

Thanks.. I'll look into more before I use it  :U