MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Dictatorship In Michigan?

Started by cman, April 07, 2012, 04:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cman

GregL

cman,

It's scary stuff that the Republicans are doing in Michigan. They are eliminating democracy. I heard about it on the Rachel Maddow show. You can watch it here. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/vp/46973330#46973330

dedndave

i am sure Michigan isn't the only state doing stuff like this
the other states are just more discreet   :P

GregL

dedndave,

I haven't heard of any other state doing things like this.  You are pretty nonchalant about it, doesn't it bother you?  It bothers the hell out of me.

dedndave

we have similar crap here in Az
the difference is - it is all done under the table

in Mi, the people elected republicans - they are getting exaclty what they voted for
my thinking there is - if it hurts when you do that, stop doing that

my personal wish for a law that would apply at federal, state, county, and local levels...
for every new law you put on the books, you have to take one off
of course, they would abuse that by replacing good laws with bad ones
but, at least they would be limited as to how many bad laws they can have

let me add that...
you are seeing a totally democrat spin on republican actions
it won't look any better if you see a republican spin on democrat actions
i am not a fan of either party
in fact, i hate nearly all politicians, as a rule
but, i am also no fan of spin-doctor media   :P

GregL

dedndave,

I don't consider that spin-doctor media. Yes, it does have a Democratic slant to it and I am definitely NOT a Republican.

But it is pretty stinking bad what they are doing.

anunitu

This is what happens with every bad turn of the economy,or even something like the 911 attack. The politicians use fear to gain some control,and will keep doing it until the people stop being manipulated by their fear.

rags

Greg,
The state of Pennsylvania took over the running of the capital city of Harrisburg, because the people running it,
ran it into bankruptcy.
So it is not a situation unique to Michigan.
Also, I would like to know if a state ultimately becomes responsible for the debt incurred,
by a cities fiscal mismanagement?
If that is so, I can understand why a state government would get involved.
God made Man, but the monkey applied the glue -DEVO

NPNW

I've heard in Michigan that they may un-incorporate the cities and let them be un-incorporated, or incorporated into other cities. As to their bond debt that would be the responsibility of the city that issued it, unless they want to take over that debt. Otherwise I don't believe that they have to be responsible for it. 

Harrisburg, could disappear if they wanted to. Also don't care for the fact that teachers are working for no pay in Pennsylvania, while they privatize the schools.

donkey

Quote from: rags on April 10, 2012, 11:51:59 PM
... Also, I would like to know if a state ultimately becomes responsible for the debt incurred,
by a cities fiscal mismanagement?...

This would only be in the case of "underlying debt" which is generally (though not always) when a municipality issues a bond that is guaranteed by the state (or provincial in my case) government. There are also certain "overlapping debt" scenarios in which both governments are responsible for all debt incurred in bonds issued to finance an area of joint responsibility, in that case the default of one government places the entire debt on the other. However, outside of a few very specific cases, the state is not responsible to back any bonds issued by a municipality.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable