News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Locked Thread - Boot Sector

Started by dedndave, March 24, 2012, 07:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedndave

aren't you guys being a bit overzealous ?
i saw no indication of virus related code, there
he wanted to print out a simple string
then, print out the values in the registers

so - the question is this...
are we not allowed to discuss floppy boot sector code, at all ?????

P1

Quote from: akulamartin on March 23, 2012, 08:15:52 PMi dont know i seem to draw a clash everywhere i go this is not something new anyway
Quote from: dedndave on March 24, 2012, 07:48:26 PMaren't you guys being a bit overzealous ?
Were these other places "overzealous" too ???
Quote from: dedndave on March 24, 2012, 07:48:26 PMi saw no indication of virus related code, there
he wanted to print out a simple string
then, print out the values in the registers
How would you feel if some of your code, was found in virus code and the AV's started flagging this code as viral every where it was used ???
Quote from: dedndave on March 24, 2012, 07:48:26 PMso - the question is this...
are we not allowed to discuss floppy boot sector code, at all ?????
We were not having a discussion, that was the problem.

I would treat anyone just as fair, when I ask good questions and get dodges.

I would have accepted any decent answer for an application for his "kernel" software.  So it lacked a truth, to distinguish it from a lie.

You should have recognized that a missing BPB, was a clue to what storage device he was aiming for as a storage host.  A storage host would have been in the "translated code" showing a real purpose.

Another sign of a virus writer in denial is to give up, as he did again.

Regards,  P1  :8)

dedndave

the lack of a BPB can be because the newbie does not remember DOS - lol
and, strictly speaking, it is not a requirement of a floppy boot sector
it simply makes the disk accessible to MS OS's - that is, if it is also accompanied by a FAT and root directory, of course   :P

i fail to see where what Martin was doing is worse than Zak...
http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=12028.0
who had several related threads - and even printed out the time - oh my !   :eek

anyways...
i am trying to find the answer to my question - not sure it's in there
Quoteare we not allowed to discuss floppy boot sector code, at all ?????

dedndave

i guess i need to stop coming in here, so often
i doubt i'll be missed - lol
some will actually be happy   :U

sinsi

I really don't see a problem with what was posted on the other thread, writing a boot sector is something you should do if you want to understand the booting process.
You try something, get it to print an 'A' when it works. You add to that then print another 'A', and so on.

My own boot sector loads my kernel (the next sector), starts up other cpus, switches to long mode then jumps to the kernel, which prints stuff to the screen about each cpu.
Pointless? Maybe, but I can do long mode stuff and play around with cpus at the lowest level, something that an OS won't let you do.

One point, doesn't the MASM32 license only let you develop MS programs? A boot sector and a kernel sounds like another OS.
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

P1

Quote from: sinsi on March 25, 2012, 05:56:30 AMOne point, doesn't the MASM32 license only let you develop MS programs? A boot sector and a kernel sounds like another OS.
For the MASM(ML 6.15) distributed by MASM32 package, this is true.

From my point of view, there was no reason not to be open about the purpose of his software.  No one likes being an accomplice to illegal activity without consent.

But I have purchased MASM 5.0 with a license to develop any software from that product.

sinsi, I am back from a sabbatical.  Sorry to hear about Bodie.

Regards,  P1  :8)

hutch--

Maybe you guys do't get to see that amount of chyte we have to shovel out of here on a regular basis. Its fair to ask the question when someone posts code that can be used for illegal purposes and all he needed to do was answer the question, not piss a moderator around. Boot sectors are fine, its been done by many people here with no problems, its when someone leave us with an unanswered question while continuing to troll for an answer to their own question, we then have reason to be suspicious of their intent. Its been done many times in here before and that is why we tend to be a bit fast on the uptake.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

jj2007

Quote from: P1Mismatch of skill, purpose and direction.

You can add "bad manners". The pattern is easy to recognise: New member has found dubious code from a dubious source, doesn't understand it and believes he can find some useful idiots here.