Coming from TASM.. How to make it work in MASM?

Started by neo1691, March 09, 2012, 04:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedndave

SymDeb is a "souped up" version of Debug
as the name implies, it allows symbolic debugging - a feature i rarely use
the feature i do use is the ability to set breakpoints without using INT3
(actually, SymDeb inserts INT3, but does not show it)

look at the commands starting with "b"

neo1691

Quote from: dedndave on March 13, 2012, 03:00:36 PM
SymDeb is a "souped up" version of Debug
as the name implies, it allows symbolic debugging - a feature i rarely use
the feature i do use is the ability to set breakpoints without using INT3
(actually, SymDeb inserts INT3, but does not show it)

look at the commands starting with "b"

Cool.. i am still trying to grasp the concepts of assembly!! Its getting difficult for me more and more.. anyways i will stick to it and will learn it!!!
Thanks!!

BogdanOntanu

You are wasting your time and energy trying to learn by using code examples from the obsolete DOS 16 bits era.

I know that unfortunately the net (and old teachers) are full of 16 bits examples but this is an mistake :D

Make yourself a favor and move to learning in the Win 32 bits land at least. (and then move to 64 bits).

Otherwise you might not learn ASM and/or consider it vey hard to learn.
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

neo1691

Quote from: BogdanOntanu on March 13, 2012, 04:25:47 PM
You are wasting your time and energy trying to learn by using code examples from the obsolete DOS 16 bits era.

I know that unfortunately the net (and old teachers) are full of 16 bits examples but this is an mistake :D

Make yourself a favor and move to learning in the Win 32 bits land at least. (and then move to 64 bits).

Otherwise you might not learn ASM and/or consider it vey hard to learn.

I agree with you 100 % but this time its not just the old teachers behind but its the whole university behind torturing us!!  :'(

dedndave

well - for 16-bit code, you have to learn a lot of stuff that doesn't apply in 32-bit world
in 32-bit code - you hardly ever mess with segment registers and the addressing mode rules are more relaxed
and - you get a bunch of new instructions   :P
when writing 16-bit code, you find combinations to do the job
this can add up to a lot of wasted effort because there may be a single instruction to do it

neo1691

Quote from: dedndave on March 13, 2012, 05:13:52 PM
well - for 16-bit code, you have to learn a lot of stuff that doesn't apply in 32-bit world
in 32-bit code - you hardly ever mess with segment registers and the addressing mode rules are more relaxed
and - you get a bunch of new instructions   :P

Sad state out here!!  ::)

Anyways i need to get on with it!!

Thanks again for the info!!

MichaelW

I agree that, given a choice, most students should bypass 16-bit code altogether. But running on a 32-bit processor, by using 32-bit registers you can eliminate many of the limitations of 16-bit indirect memory operands, and gain the ability to manipulate 32-bit values in a single instruction.
eschew obfuscation