News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Zeroing a register

Started by sinsi, February 03, 2012, 06:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinsi

Is there any performance problem between using a 32-bit or 64-bit register?
    sub r8d,r8d
    sub r8,r8

Both do the same thing, both are encoded as 3 bytes, but is one better?
I used r8 in this example because using eax/rax there is a difference (extra byte for the rex prefix).
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

sinsi

Maybe I should qualify my question, it's not so much the performance (1 clock cycle ain't a killer) but more like a gotcha.
I am thinking of stalls, like when using an 8- or 16-bit register in 32-bit mode.
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

habran

Hi sinsi,

I am using XOR reg,reg instead of SUB reg,reg
even though both instructions use 1 clock cycle on 486 processor
XOR is looking better and more sophisticated because it looks you understand binary numbers

here http://classes.engr.oregonstate.edu/eecs/summer2008/cs271/Instructions.htm you can check for clock cycles

regards

hutch--

sinsi,

I don't know if 64 bit capable hardware suffered the problem that early PIVs did with partial register writes stalling a larger register read or write shortly after it. I personally doubt that a zeroing operation fits into that style of problem as both SUB and XOR tend to live in silicon, not microcode but probably the only safe way is to make a small test piece and time it. I remember on a PIII that you used to get very bad stalls if you performed a BYTE operation followed shortly after with a DWORD operation on a register and it was blatantly obvious that the timing was different.

If you don't get major differences in the timing, then it probably is not a big deal.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

sinsi

Yeah, I can't really see a problem with zeroing the upper bits, that's built in to all sorts of other instructions.
Interesting, I was wondering about 32/64, never thought about e.g. r8b and how that affects r8/r8d/r8w. Same I should think as al/eax in 32-bit cpus.

All we need is for MichaelW to make timers64...although I am having a go at it on and off.

MichaelW

If Dave would hurry up and win the lottery he could buy me a new system as he promised, and then I could make the move to 64 bits :bg
eschew obfuscation

qWord

Quote from: sinsi on February 04, 2012, 10:13:25 AM
All we need is for MichaelW to make timers64...although I am having a go at it on and off.
I've translate them a while ago:
; x64-Version of MichaelW's macros
counter_begin MACRO loopcount:REQ, priority
LOCAL label

IFNDEF tmcb__nLoops
.data
align 16
tmcb__nLoops dd 0
tmcb__cntr dd 0
tmcb__qw dq 2 dup (?)
.code
ENDIF