News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Portable Executable import table

Started by others111, January 11, 2012, 11:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qWord

you are using ml version 10! (->visual studio 2010)
All you need are the structure definitions which can be obtained through the masm32-package or japhet's WinInc-project.
FPU in a trice: SmplMath
It's that simple!

dedndave

others111,

what are you trying to do ? - what is the goal of this project ?
why are you limited to that version of MASM, rather than using the Masm32 package ?
why are you limited to using only kernel32.lib and msvcrt.lib ?

wsprintf is in user32.lib   :P
although, it can probably be avoided

we can help you if we have the required information

others111

The goal of this project: for every DLL which my file ex:vlc.exe imports functions, display the name of the DLL and the name of the function imported

requirements:win32 functions (CreateFile, ReadFile, CloseHandle..the ones I used above)

I have to use this old version of masm because my teacher from assembly language laboratory requested this old program for work.

dedndave

ok - very good
however, that version of MASM is quite new
i understand what you are trying to do

qWord's program is very cool   :U
i have modified his code to use no INC files or Masm32 library - and it is working
all that's left is to eliminate the wsprintf call and format the output
give me a little time...

dedndave

give this a try...

notice that msvcrt.lib is not needed   :P

you can delete this line:
        INCLUDELIB msvcrt.lib

qWord

just to make it clear: my example pars the PE after the loader has modified it. Donkey's or Iczelion's examples show how to pars a unmodified image.
FPU in a trice: SmplMath
It's that simple!

dedndave

very nice, qWord   :U

that would make a great error reporting routine   :bg

others111

When I launch the program I receive what I attached to this post.The code appears to be complicated to me,but I was told to use the RVA function to move around,which it is written in the COEFF file.I used libview program to view the functions from  kernel32.lib which have @name at the end

.model flat, stdcall

includelib msvcrt.lib
includelib kernel32.lib

extern printf             :proc
extern scanf            :proc
extern CreateFileA@28                  :proc
extern CreateFileMappingA@24                 :proc
extern MapViewOfFile@20      :proc
extern CloseHandle@4                   :proc
extern SetFilePointer@16                           :proc
extern ReadFile@20         :proc
extern exit                     :proc

public start

.data
FileName db "c:\vlc.exe"                                         ;address for the file to be mapped               
hFile dword ?                              ;handle  CreateFile
hFileMapping dword ?                                            ;handle  CreateFileMapping
namee  db  "vlc"                                                   ;name for the mapped file
position dword 0   

format db "%x", 0

.code
start:

push 0                                                                  ;Handle to template file with Generic_Read access right 
        push 0                                                                  ;Attributes 80h --> FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL
        push 3                                     ; 3->create new if it does not exist
        push 0                                   ;Security:NULL
        push 1h                                          ;dwShareMode
        push 80000000h OR 40000000h                     ;ACCESS   --> GENERIC_READ OR GENERIC_WRITE 
        push offset FileName                         ;address for the file to be created
        call CreateFileA@28   
        mov  hFile,eax   

push offset namee
      push 0
      push 0                           
      push 2             ;4 --> ReadWrite | 2 --> ReadOnly
      push 0
      push hFile
      call CreateFileMappingA@24
      mov  hFileMapping,eax

push 0
      push 0                             
      push 0
      push 4
      push hFileMapping
      call MapViewOfFile@20   

xor  ebx,ebx                     

mov  bx,word ptr [eax+220h]
      mov  position,ebx

push position
      push offset format
      call printf

;push 0
      ;push 0
      ;push position
      ;push hFile
      ;call SetFilePointer@16
      ;mov memptr,eax

;call exit function
   push 0
   call exit
end start

When I added 220h to eax I am at the .idata position. Now somehow I have to see what  is in that .idata I think using the RVA function, this is at what I am stuck and I can`t get further.

I can tell that I am at that position cause I use a hex editor.

baltoro

About a year ago, I wrote a program to display a huge amount of information about a selected Portable Executable, and, I based it on the description found in this article: 
Peering Inside the PE: A Tour of the Win32 Portable Executable File Format, Matt Pietrek, MSDN, 1994
Baltoro

others111

I started to look deeply into the PE doc from MSDN to build the program myself.However I have a question how do I find the raw offset of something in the PE ? I need to calculate the file offset which has this equation : file offset= RVA-virtual offset + raw data

clive

Quote from: others111 on January 14, 2012, 06:36:50 PM
I started to look deeply into the PE doc from MSDN to build the program myself.However I have a question how do I find the raw offset of something in the PE ? I need to calculate the file offset which has this equation : file offset= RVA-virtual offset + raw data

You have to traverse the sections, the Section Table provides the data to translate a virtual address into a file offset. Some addresses will fall outside that physically backed by data on the media. Some sections may be devoid of any data.
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

others111

thank you

How can I traverse the PE file? can I use SetFilePointer function to do this?

others111

push 0
      push 0
      push 5045h
      push hFile
      call SetFilePointer@16   

if I write this,is the pointer going to be set at the PE location in hex ? 

clive

Huh? What would be at 5045h ('PE')?

You have a mapped view of the file in memory, would you not just index through the data structures in memory directly? Sure, if you are working with a file you can move the file pointer around and use ReadFile() to pull in various chunks of data. To do so however you need to understand where they are situated, and how large they are.

The more basic problem here is that you don't seem to understand the file/data structures. If the complexity here comes from the use of assembly, then try to implement this in a language you are familiar with first.

To find the PE header you need to examine the DOS 'MZ' EXE header, pulling an offset from 0x3C. Once you have the offset to the PE header you can extract information about it's size, and details about the sections and directories it contains.
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.