News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Windows 8 Metro, duh!!

Started by Bill Cravener, December 24, 2011, 07:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunner

Explain to me how a tablet is more productive than a keyboard and monitor?  Maybe billion dollar companies can go out and buy all new hardware, but not everyone will. 
~Rob (Gunner)
- IE Zone Editor
- Gunners File Type Editor
http://www.gunnerinc.com

MichaelW

Windows 98 was good for the time and for what it was intended to do. For people who still used DOS applications it was in many respects better than DOS. And if everything was right, hardware, installation, configuration, drivers, and applications, you could run it for weeks without a reboot.
eschew obfuscation

dedndave

yah - i had win98 pretty well mastered, as far as configuring it went - i had no troubles with it

winME - you had some preset limit as to how many times you could install or uninstall programs
once you hit that limit, it was time to start from scratch, because problems starting popping up - lol

when i look at win8, i am reminded of movies like Avatar, Minority Report, or the hover-port displays in the Matrix movies
i can see where ms is trying to go - fancy displays that allow you to use your hand or fingers like a magic wand to control everything
but - i don't think they've thought things through very well
what looks cool in a movie may not really be all that practical
transparent displays - looks cool - but how annoying would it be to have distractions from the background
and certainly, what is practical on a tablet may not be practical on a desktop

as for ms not controlling the tablet market - i say, great !
time to let someone else make some decisions for a while - lol
the overall industry becomes stagnant when one company calls all the shots
diversity is where new stuff comes from

Bill Cravener

The link I posted earlier says it all:
QuoteThe company (Microsoft) is clearly stuck between a rock and hard place, but they're handling their situation with the "Consumer Preview" about as poorly as it could be handled. It's smart to move the ball forward, but you can't keep your foot behind the line of scrimmage. It's an engineer's mentality, and the consumer world is 99% full of non-engineers who have (or SHOULD have) little-to-no patience for sub-standard experiences.

We so often forget that the average user is not one of us. That is to say knowledgeable in the functioning of the OS. Companies will not spend the time or expense to retrain. And if you watched the video from my link posted earlier you can see the confusion the new Metro UI will cause the average person be it at home or at the office.

Boy how I wish I could place a bet on the win or loss of MS's move towards the Win 8 Metro direction because I'm quite certain it will be a loser and if I could just place a bet on it flopping I know I'd be a winner! If MS is out to push business towards the Mac they are moving in the right direction!
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

vanjast

This what the 'Metro' word does to a good product  :bdg

vanjast

Quote from: Gunner on March 18, 2012, 05:42:00 PM
Explain to me how a tablet is more productive than a keyboard and monitor?  Maybe billion dollar companies can go out and buy all new hardware, but not everyone will. 
It's all marketing hype which works very well. The technically challenged portion of the population are just suckers for this.
It's about image, upgrading, and 'one upmanship'... essentially my toy is better/bigger than yours which is nothing more than compensation for smaller things that they cannot change. :bg

Apple have done a good job (what a pun, although it's a bit dead now) with this and their other products - Branding.

GregL

A tablet is definitely not more productive than a keyboard and monitor.

A tablet is really handy for lightweight tasks like browsing the web, looking at photos and videos, listening to music, reading ebooks, running apps etc. while lounging around on the couch or the recliner.

When I find myself getting exasperated with what I am trying to do on the tablet, I know it is time to move to the PC.

anunitu

This brings to mind a question about using a phone to surf the web. Does said phone have a firewall or something to keep your phone from turning into an memory eating ad player.

Bill Cravener

My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

sinsi

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

I will get it, and I will use it, I am sure. You need to keep up with stuff.
I am just hoping for a last minute "OK, we'll ket you disable Metro" from Microsoft.
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

jj2007

No chance, folks - I will stick with Windows RG :U

Bill Cravener

Quote from: Bill Cravener on April 17, 2012, 09:35:41 AM
VOTE: WILL YOU UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 8?

I see there have been over 1500 votes at the PC Advisor site already and though it's yet to be released an interest in Win 8 isn't looking very promising. :tdown
My MASM32 Examples.

Bill Cravener

Voting page was moved. New voting link page: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/polls/3351321/will-you-upgrade-to-windows-8/

Over 2400 votes, doesn't look good for Win 8.  :tdown
My MASM32 Examples.

TmX

Canonical had done the similar thing on Ubuntu Linux: Unity.
There are Ubuntu Linux users who don't like Unity (good for tablets/touch-screen devices, but not for desktops).
So they prefer KDE 4 or GNOME classic or whatever.
But there are also people who like it (younger ones?).

Probably the same thing also applies to Metro UI.

:toothy

vanjast

Rather avoid the friviolities of 'fashion' and stick with something that works..
If you follow fashion it'll eat you alive... so just avoid it