How to integrate Jwasm to Visual Studio 2010 ?

Started by hasanbacioglu, October 12, 2011, 07:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanbacioglu

Hi dear masm habitants,

I have followed steps explained in Jwasm Visual Studio integration (which is available for Visual Studio 2008).

"To make JWasm a known tool for Visual Studio copy file jwasm.rules to directory <visual_studio_root_directory>\VC\VCProjectDefaults.
(In the directory there should be a file masm.rules already.) "

I have copied jwasm.rules to appropriete directory. But there is no such a file like masm.rules there. Anyway.

I have launched Visual Studio 2010. When I right click on my Test for Jwasm project in solution explorer. There is not menu entry for Custom Build Rules but instead Build Customization Files, where I chose masm (ml or ml64 according to win32 or x64 projects.). But even there I can't see anything related with Jwasm. How can i configure Jwasm settings in VS 2010?

Thanks in advance for your kind attention.

dedndave

i found 3 files named masm.rules, one for x86, one for ia64, one for amd64
they are in the 2008 sdk, at least
and, all 3 files are identical...

hasanbacioglu

Quote from: dedndave on October 12, 2011, 07:35:17 PM
i found 3 files named masm.rules, one for x86, one for ia64, one for amd64
they are in the 2008 sdk, at least
and, all 3 files are identical...

I have Visual Studio 2010. I don't have any masm.rules file under my installation folder nor anywhere else. However, I can compile succesfully with ml or ml64 without masm.rules files. I have searched for masm.rules files in my computer just in case it could be in some other installation folder other than "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\VCProjectDefaults". Simple it does not exist. The only file in this folder is VCMergeModules.xml. Anyway it's not that important to have masm.rules file or not. I just want to figure out where to place jwasm.rules file in installation folder. I have placed it under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\VCProjectDefaults", but I can't see any change in Build Customization Files Dialog in VS. Anyone who can succesfully integrate Jwasm and VS 2010 ? Where to place what to do ? Directives available on the net are for vs 2008 and outdated.

Thanks in advance for your kind attention.

drizz

I think (i haven't tried it myself) you need to create
jwasm.props
jwasm.targets
jwasm.xml

equivalent to masm files present in : "c:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\BuildCustomizations"

start by renaming every occurrence of MASM with JWASM

then right click project -> build customization -> check jwasm

The truth cannot be learned ... it can only be recognized.

habran

drizz is telling you exactly what you need to do
Here is the explanation how to do that  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2010/04/21/quick-help-on-vs2010-custom-build-rule.aspx
I have done that with MSVC 2010 Express
and it works fine

regards

hasanbacioglu

Thanks a lot guys.
I was asleep in front of computer.  I have just seen your responses. Yeah. It works in this way.

habran

here is a nice and complete explanation how to integrate VC2010
http://kipirvine.com/asm/gettingStartedVS2010/index.htm
for JWASM, after you changed all MASM to JWASM in JWasm.props, JWasm.targets and JWasm.xml
you have to remove /Ta option in line 18 and 19 of JWasm.props

regards

Greenhorn__

Hi,

you can create a VS 2008 project with custom build rules and select the jwasm.rules.
Save the project and after that import it with VS 2010. The jwasm.rules will be converted to the VS 2010 formated files.
Or just take the files from attachment ...

Regards
Greenhorn
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
(Abraham Lincoln)