MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Harvard / von Neumann

Started by ookami, December 22, 2010, 07:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ookami

Hi,

I have some questions : Does Masm work on a Harvard architecture too ? Which computers have a Harvard architecture ?

thanks

Tight_Coder_Ex

It could if Intel adopted that design, but Harvard is typical in microcontrollers like the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIC_microcontroller.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_architecture about specs and the types of hardware its usually used in

ookami

ok, thank you.

Apart from Intel, what kind of processor support MASM ? AMD does ?

dedndave

that question is a little backwards
it might be more correct to ask, "Which processors does MASM support?"

the answer is x86, ia64, AMD64
although, the 64-bit support is incomplete, and i think MS has no intention of upgrading it in the future

processors that support Intel x86 code are made by
Intel
AMD
Cyrix
VIA
National Semiconductor
UMC
NexGen
Centaur
Rise Technology
SiS SiS SiS
Transmeta

and maybe a few others
chips made by most of the companies on that list are rather rare (except, perhaps, in embedded controllers)  :P
most common are Intel and AMD

ookami

thanks a lot. :U

Does a normal computer (I mean not microcontroller) that uses Harvard exist ? 

GregL

Quote from: dedndavealthough, the 64-bit support is incomplete, and i think MS has no intention of upgrading it in the future

I wouldn't call it incomplete, it's definitely "no frills" but it's not incomplete.  It has everything needed to write 64-bit programs.

clive

Define what you mean by Harvard?

The 8051 uses separate code and data address spaces, but share the same bus.

The ARM can use TCM (Tightly Coupled Memory) where data and instructions are bused separately.

For that matter most recent x86 implementation also cache data and instructions independently and buses them in separately.

Define a "normal" computer? Something running Linux, Chrome, or something exotic that doesn't run Windows or on an x86? I don't think the processor in my phone is a "microcontroller", what is your criterion/threshold for a CPU to not being a microcontroller?
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

Tight_Coder_Ex

Quote from: clive on December 22, 2010, 11:15:42 PM
Define a "normal" computer? Something running Linux, Chrome, or something exotic that doesn't run Windows

I couldn't resist clive, TOUCHE

ookami

Sorry guys, i didn't check this topic out since then.

Clive, I just wanted to know if there is a computer, like the one i am using right now to post this (and you too, i suppose), constructed following the Harvard architecture. I mean by Harvard architecture :

Wikipedia.

QuoteThe Harvard architecture is a computer architecture with physically separate storage and signal pathways for instructions and data.

Thank you very much.