News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

TASM User's guide

Started by Ficko, October 29, 2010, 08:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ficko

I have been looking for the ,,TASM User's guide" and found this download of "Paradigm C++".

It contains a complete documentation and the executable of "Pasm " – "Paradigm Assembler" - a TASM clone ? Or a rename?
Perhaps the source was bought from Borland because it is nearly 100% compatible with TASM. ::)--
May some TASM fan like to have it in his collection as something esoteric. :P

The "Paradigm C++" is a gem as well if you like to play with embedded systems or wanna have a light weighted full-blown kernel source.

You don't want to install the suite just extract the cmd tools from the "\update\bin" directory.
If you use TASM in the Embarcadero IDE you may like the tool "h2ash.exe" as well missing from the "Rad IDE" tool chain and some other gizmos.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TZKCLDVH

Vortex

Hi Ficko,

Have a look at Lazy Assembler's (LZASM) homepage :

Lazy Assembler (freeware) Version 0.56 (6 AUG 2007) by Stepan Polovnikov

LZASM is an x86 assembler for DOS and Windows that handles the TASM (Turbo Assembler) IDEAL mode and produces OMF OBJ files.
Support MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 (PNI), SSE4 (MNI), 3DNow!Pro instructions.

http://lzasm.hotbox.ru

There is a link to download the Pasm manual :

Download Paradigm Assembler User's Guide (TASM 5.0 clone) (945 Kb)

Ficko

Thanks Vortex!

Your link goes to a slightly older issue.:

"October 26, 1999"

opposed to

"December 8, 2005"

The content maybe the same but the newer PDF has index as well.

To "Lazy":
It does not understands MASM syntax "Pasm" appears to understand it.

GregL

Ficko,

I did a little research a couple of years ago about this and found out that Paradigm purchased TASM 5.0 from Borland and renamed it the Paradigm Assembler and then sold it with their C++ compiler. So, as you found, the User's Guide is completely compatible with TASM 5.0.

Magnum

GregL,

Good to see that Tasm is still being used.

This could have been tasm32.com.  :bg

Have a great day,
                         Andy

TASMUser

I have downloaded Paradigm some years ago and found out after some hacking that it is a stolen version of TASM, actually. The Paradigm EXE is a loader which wraps the genuine TASM32.EXE and extracts it to a temporary folder and starts it from there.
In my opinion keep your hands off of Paradigm ASM.

GregL

TASMUser,

What makes you think it's stolen?  They must have bought the rights to distribute it.  They would have been in for a big lawsuit if they didn't.

Paradigm Systems Inc.

GregL

Quote from: MagnumGood to see that Tasm is still being used.

I really don't use it anymore. Years ago I wrote some programs with it but I prefer MASM.

Magnum

Quote from: GregL on November 01, 2010, 04:32:09 AM
Quote from: MagnumGood to see that Tasm is still being used.

I really don't use it anymore. Years ago I wrote some programs with it but I prefer MASM.

Same here.

But I have found that some 16 bit code that doesn't use interrupts, can be used in Win32 code as well.

That's one nice feature of masm.

And there are still many machines with DOS -> WinXP and some laboratory instruments are running with .486 and Win 95.

Have a great day,
                         Andy

Ficko

Quote from: TASMUser on November 01, 2010, 01:58:55 AM
The Paradigm EXE is a loader which wraps the genuine TASM32.EXE and extracts it to a temporary folder and starts it from there.

This could be true since if you manage to generate an exception in "Pasm" the OS often report exception generated in "pasm.dll".
There is no "pasm.dll" to be found.

And this leave the question open if you have the source code of "TASM" legally why you go through the trouble to making a wrapper instead of recompiling it ?

I would be not  surprised if paradigm C++ would turn out being just a wrapper for "Botland's C++"  :P

Quote from: Magnum on October 31, 2010, 11:28:13 AM
GregL,

Good to see that Tasm is still being used.

Indeed if you are using "Embarcadero C++" and want to have some ASM included in your project it has to be written for TASM.
I did not checked jet what kind of updates "Embarcadero" did to TASM but I think only some SSE type enhancements.

Magnum

Quote from: TASMUser on November 01, 2010, 01:58:55 AM
I have downloaded Paradigm some years ago and found out after some hacking that it is a stolen version of TASM, actually. The Paradigm EXE is a loader which wraps the genuine TASM32.EXE and extracts it to a temporary folder and starts it from there.
In my opinion keep your hands off of Paradigm ASM.

So, how long did you use it after you realized it was stolen?  :tdown

Have a great day,
                         Andy

IlikeC

Yeah the user guide for TASM is now 'paradigm assembler user's guide'.  You can find it online no prob.  Pdf is 306 pages.

The guide shows the output for PASM command switches and the output is completely identical to TASM except the name change. 

It would have been nice if Borland kept Tasm and continued developing it.  Borland always made great products.  In fact their software was used for coding a part of the Mars Rovers.