Visual Studio 2010 Project

Started by GregL, May 16, 2010, 01:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

Using Visual Studio has it's advantages, it handles the creation and inclusion of manifests automatically. It handles x64 projects.  It's easy to include C/C++ modules into your projects.  You can use MSBuild to build your MASM projects from the command line or batch files.  Plus it has an excellent debugger.

The advantages are outweighing the disadvantages.

oex

Quote from: Greg Lyon on May 16, 2010, 07:32:06 PM
Using Visual Studio has it's advantages, it handles the creation and inclusion of manifests automatically. It handles x64 projects.  It's easy to include C/C++ modules into your projects.  You can use MSBuild to build your MASM projects from the command line or batch files.  Plus it has an excellent debugger.

I actually use the VS 6.0 debugger sometimes however over time and out of fustration with missing features I've ended up writing a lot of my own libraries.... I dont think this is neccessarily a bad thing, it does mean I havent migrated to 64 bit yet and every version of VS I consider whether or not I should dump my setup for theirs but it's a tough decision to take. My aim is to replace ml altogether eventually one day and not have to worry about external software at all but I'm still a long way off that :lol....
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

GregL

Here is Kip Irvine's tutorial on Getting Started with MASM and Visual Studio 2010.  He now recommends using a "bare bones" project as the easiest way to start a new MASM project.  When I get the time I'll list the steps to create a new MASM project from scratch.

frktons

Quote from: Greg Lyon on May 16, 2010, 07:32:06 PM

I can't agree more  :P  :U
Mind is like a parachute. You know what to do in order to use it :-)

armiof1

Check my blog at http://www.scriptbucket.wordpress.com for details on creating a masm project wizard.

baltoro

To both GREGL and ARMIOF1,
Good stuff,...very useful,...THANKS !!!
Baltoro