News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

100 to 1 Compressor

Started by Sergiu FUNIERU, February 23, 2010, 11:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedndave

how much is a "€" ? EDIT - nevermind - it is a euro   :P  i guess if you put 50,000 of them together, you have a few bux

Sergiu - you have to give them a working EXE
they do not claim ownership of the code

Sergiu FUNIERU

Quote from: oex on February 24, 2010, 12:50:34 PMCompression algorithms find real limitations when put into practice, you should write your algoritm in asm and test it on various random sample data before you make too many wild claims.... What might seem obviously right now will soon find boundaries after you put pen to paper.
It's all about numbers. It's like saying that I found an algorithm to solve the second degree equation (I know there is one - it's just an example). If it works from the mathematical point of view, implementing the algorithm is just a matter of asm skills.

Quote from: dedndave on February 24, 2010, 12:53:29 PMhow much is a "€" ?
It depends on the conversion rate from each country. In mine (Romania), 1 Euro is around $1.355, so the 50,000 Euros means around $67,780

dedndave

same here - a Romanian dollar is about equal to a US dollar, at the moment
that should be plenty to pay for a patent attorney   :bg

Sergiu FUNIERU

Quote from: dedndave on February 24, 2010, 01:05:34 PMsame here - a Romanian dollar is about equal to a US dollar, at the moment
We don't have a Romanian dollar (unfortunately). I was talking about US dollars.

By the way, it looks like the prize is not 50,000 Euros, but 50,000 Euros multiplied by a number less than one.
If we can verify your claim, you are eligible for a prize of 50'000€×(1-S/L).

Anyway, this looks like a good incentive. I'll have to improve my programming skills to get this job done before they change their minds.

BlackVortex

Quote from: dedndave on February 24, 2010, 01:05:34 PM
same here - a Romanian dollar is about equal to a US dollar, at the moment
that should be plenty to pay for a patent attorney   :bg
lmao, do you think every country has a dollar ? We're talking euros here. As in European Union currency ...

oex

Probably the biggest problem with compression is compression time.... The Hutter Prize algo takes 10 hours to compress 100Mb so to compress the data on my 250Gb HD would take my computer about 3.5 years by which time hard drives will be about 3 times larger lol. Also bandwidth is increasing fast so this also isnt a major bottleneck.... There are many cases where you could use better compression especially 100 to 1 compression but more likely on smaller devices than normal desktops.
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

Sergiu FUNIERU

Quote from: oex on February 24, 2010, 01:32:52 PMProbably the biggest problem with compression is compression time.... The Hutter Prize algo takes 10 hours to compress 100Mb so to compress the data on my 250Gb HD would take my computer about 3.5 years by which time hard drives will be about 3 times larger lol. Also bandwidth is increasing fast so this also isnt a major bottleneck.... There are many cases where you could use better compression especially 100 to 1 compression but more likely on smaller devices than normal desktops.
What people did before Euclid, when trying to calculate the gcd (Greatest Common Divisor) of x and y:
- they factorized both x and y
- they took the common divisors, at the lowest degree
Factorizing a 1000 digit number takes billions of billions of ... billions of years with our current technology.

Imagine when Euclid came with his algorithm and said:
"Hey, I can calculate the gcd of 2 numbers, with 1000 digits each in 10 seconds, on a P4 computer!"
People said "You're nuts! Our best algorithms will take centuries, so yours will take forever."
By the way, the gcd of 2 numbers, with 1000 digits each, on a P4 computer takes less than 10 seconds with the GMP library. I tried it myself.

Euclid's algorithm didn't factorize the x and the y. Simply, because he didn't need to. So, Euclid didn't optimize the classic algorithm - he replaced it with one that is more adapted to the task.

Of course, Euclid didn't have a P4, but you got the idea.

oex

Euclid did however live 2300 years ago, I expect in 2300 years time we will have both quantum computers capable of similar differences in abilities, maybe even ultra fast 100 to 1 compression :lol
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

Sergiu FUNIERU

Quote from: oex on February 24, 2010, 02:30:31 PMmaybe even ultra fast 100 to 1 compression :lol
I strongly believe that we already are capable of compressing 100 to 1, almost instantly, with the equipment we have nowadays. Maybe all we need is a fresh point of view regarding the algorithms that we currently use for compression.

Euclid didn't have better tools. He just tried to reduce the problem to the basics. By the way, did you know how he came up with the idea? Is fascinating to see what a clear mind can do.

oex

Well compression is considered a sure sign of intelligence, for my part I'm still struggling with 2 to 1 compression and it's not very instant but I'm working on it :)

I'm sure much of the limitations have more to do with hardware capabilities and the shear masses of data we consider small and easy to manipulate these days. In Euclids time there weren't many things not discovered however there are 2300 years of discoveries between then and now.

dedndave

if you look at the file they want you to compress, it is part of the html from wikipedia main page
mostly plain text characters - which compresses rather easily
the zip file it comes in is ~3:1 already   :bg

Sergiu FUNIERU

Quote from: dedndave on February 24, 2010, 03:09:50 PMwhich compresses rather easily
Yes, but when I look to the prizes, all they got so far was a couple of thousands. And their programs are available on the site, for download. I can't do that. I have to think of a method to prove that my algorithm works, before releasing it to the public.

Do you think that a demonstration posted on YouTube will do it?

dedndave

either way, it would be interesting to see
although, i have seen some smoke and mirror stuff on youtube, too
like some guy measuring 120 VAC from a battery - lol
but, you couldn't see the meter leads as they left and came back onto the visible screen   :bg

use their file as an example - that will give you some data to compare it with

oex

Quote from: dedndave on February 24, 2010, 03:09:50 PM
if you look at the file they want you to compress, it is part of the html from wikipedia main page
mostly plain text characters - which compresses rather easily
the zip file it comes in is ~3:1 already   :bg

:P I'm struggling to get past 2:1 on generic data not that wiki thing :lol.... Photo data only

oex

Quote from: Sergiu FUNIERU on February 24, 2010, 03:15:24 PM
Quote from: dedndave on February 24, 2010, 03:09:50 PMwhich compresses rather easily
Yes, but when I look to the prizes, all they got so far was a couple of thousands. And their programs are available on the site, for download. I can't do that. I have to think of a method to prove that my algorithm works, before releasing it to the public.

Do you think that a demonstration posted on YouTube will do it?

YouTube is public. If you post an exe to this site that compresses 100:1 pretty quickly you would be able to live off the publicity :lol, There would be intelligence agencies all over the world wanting to enlist you.