Microsoft Security Essentials

Started by sinsi, January 05, 2010, 04:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinsi

I have been installing it onto client computers with no problems...until the last few days.
Two different clients, same basic problem - MSSE let 2 fake AV/spyware scanners onto the systems.
One was just a nagger (similar to XP Antivirus/AV2009) but the other was a real bastard which didn't seem to work properly - no internet
access at all because of a changed LSP. That one took me all day to clean. It also made MsMpEng.exe crash all the time.
When I could do a scan, it found nothing, damn POS.

Looks like it's back to AVG :sigh:
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

hutch--

Sinsi,

The profile must have had administrative access to allow the crap to install. I have been interested in how well MSSE works because of all the false positives that much of the junk delivers, this sounds unfortunate.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

dedndave

my nephew caught that bug, Sinsi - i used system restore to get rid of it
it manifested itself as being able to connect to the router, but only as a local connection
there is probably another way to get rid of it, but i am vista-stupid - lol

sinsi

These were two xp home computers owned by clueless users ("it said I was infected so I clicked OK" even after I told them not to do anything like that ::)).
At least they called me before they punched in their credit card details. The trouble is that one of them seems to have been infected from the facebook logon screen.

Oh well, they keep me in beer and smokes.
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

Bill Cravener

Quote from: sinsi on January 05, 2010, 11:02:34 AM
Oh well, they keep me in beer and smokes.

Except for the smoking part thats the life I seek sinsi. Haven't burned one in some 25 years, cigs that is. :bg
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

sinsi

dedndave

sinsi

Well, I've just been informed the nasty one is back and badder than ever. The clueless luser figured it was one of the three torrent sites he goes to.
So what does he do? try a few different ones...this time it got through avg9 and spybot, so I'm thinking rootkit :(

Forget the beer, I will be drinking Chivas Regal at this rate.

edit: just found out that it infected my usb stick too...good old autorun.inf
Is there anyway of write-protecting a usb stick? Maybe write an iso or cdfs to it?

dedndave

sinsi

malware bytes, spybot, avg, msse, etc. Tried 'em all.
Hard to install when the windows installer service chucks a wobbly...or installshield.
Hard to update when the internet doesn't work...

Even hijackthis is an msi now - and it's one fricken file in a 3-deep folder.  ::)

jj2007

Quote from: sinsi on January 07, 2010, 08:35:49 AM
Is there anyway of write-protecting a usb stick? Maybe write an iso or cdfs to it?

Difficult. But you can choose an icon that tells you the stick is OK:

Quote from: jj2007 on April 27, 2009, 02:23:54 AM

[autorun]
icon=MyFoto.ico

and copy MyFoto.ico to the root, too (keep a copy of both files in a separate folder - you will need them).

If you don't see the icon in Explorer, your stick has been hijacked again.

FORTRANS

Hi,

One of my USB sticks has two partitions on it, and one
shows up as a a DVD/CD-ROM in "properties".  I disabled
it, but it used to show up as a CD-ROM type thing in "My
Computer".  So...

A better way was to buy a stick with a write protect
switch.  But I haven't seen those for a while.  SD cards
seem to have that, so use one with an adapter?

Regards,

Steve N.

Astro

Hi,

SD is the way to go - proper hardware write disable. Only ever seen one USB stick with write-protect switch that I got as a freebie at a show.

Best regards,
Robin.