News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

MSP430F449... anyone?

Started by Tinito16, November 11, 2009, 06:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinito16

I know this isn't Microsoft Assembly, but I really need help for a project I have using the Texas Instruments MSP430F449. We were given an IDE called IAR Embedded Workbench in which to program and assemble our project, and I have found "sample codes" within the TI site. However, what I really need is an absolute beginner's guide to start programming this microcontroller, as we went from using MASM to this mid-semester and I'm really not understanding the sample codes I have downloaded. I need something akin to what I was doing with MASM, i.e. manipulating simple registers, using control flow statements and interrupts, that kind of thing. In the end we need to do a timer, but that's all the preliminary info I have about the project (the professor hasn't officially given us the specifications but he has told us it'll be more or less that). I'm trying to start this early so I'll understand it better.

Many thanks to those who help and contribute!

z941998

Hi there,

I downloaded the Art of Assembly Language help file (pdf).  It has everything you need and then some with over 1400 pages of info and its written for students.

Its about 3 Meg in a Zip format.  The problem I have is I forgot where I found it, so do a web search using quotes, you should then find it.

Steve

dedndave

z941998 - the AOA is for x86 processors - it is by Randall Hyde (a forum member) and available on his site, as well as other places in HTML form

Tino - each time i start working with a new processor, i have to sit down and pile through a lot of documentation
quite often, the data sheet is a good place to start
the info should be available from TI - otherwise, you may have to look for a book
after you have learned a half-dozen processors, it gets easier - lol
i haven't worked with any TI's yet - but it is to their advantage to point you in the right direction
you might try contacting them for some ideas

konan

Quote from: z941998 on November 11, 2009, 07:28:35 AM
Hi there,

I downloaded the Art of Assembly Language help file (pdf).  It has everything you need and then some with over 1400 pages of info and its written for students.

Its about 3 Meg in a Zip format.  The problem I have is I forgot where I found it, so do a web search using quotes, you should then find it.

Steve

This is the adress (one of them). http://www.planetpdf.com/codecuts/pdfs/aoa.pdf
Did not read yet, but looks great. :-)

z941998

I also agree with DednDave.  Establish your knowledge base buy knowing what to do and when to do it.

Thank DednDave I was at an earilier point, before becoming processor specific.