MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

MasmBasic

Started by jj2007, October 06, 2009, 08:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedndave

sounds like a little terminology confusion to me
what we refer to as "console" programs are those that run at the command prompt, and are usually text-based apps

jj2007

ic2,
Not sure what you mean here. The editor is based on the RichEdit control - where do you see a console style...?
By the way, the ini file is already there, and fixing screen coordinates is possible. I attach here a temporary version 9i (intermediate because the MasmBasic Val() function has an unresolved bug).

- Check \masm32\RichMasm\RES\RichMasm.ini after extraction, and copy it to \masm32\RichMasm\user\RichMasm.ini
- add the following under [AppInfo]:
ScrX=200
ScrY=0
ScrW=700
ScrH=1000
ScrW and ScrH are expressed as 1000th of the available width, so these values give you roughly a centered window.

This latest version also has improved autoindenting, i.e. if you type .if eax, then Return, you get an extra tab. Same for .Rep, .else etc.

EDIT: Attachment removed, see new one at page 8

ic2

"sounds like a little terminology confusion to me"

dedndave, I even when back to school but we have done no ASM to-date and that was the main point of going back. Everything is LOGIC.  I could have use all of that time coding something sinceable, like ASM.  Now I don't even have the spare time to even think anymore.  No ASM is a heart breaker  :(

"where do you see a console style...?"

That was a stupid wild guest.  No person who understand computer should have concluded that.  Anyway, I just been trying to think of how I would relate MasmBasic to FASM or if the editor would assemble fasm code. Either way, school is out in a few days so I'm planing get back into ASM and understand the working of MasmBasic during my vacation.  I had big fun translating masm code to fasm last year.  A little tricky sometimes but it don't take much.  For what I read already ...

Great work JJ

dedndave

logic is good - lol
learn all you can - it will help you write better code

ic2

Logic... Those people at the job who only taking the talk and walk the walk, but never wrote a line of code since the DOS days are the ones who are earning top dollar.  I might fuss a little but I like it, especially after hutch explained some C type logic question asked by me a few years ago.  The way he spit-it sold me, now I try harder.  As far as writing better code, the way I been reading, today processors (64bit) have taken away the ability for programmer to see all of true processing of the processor and with Windows-7 sub-sub-sub triple kernel to a General in a dress, even more can't be seen.  Deals have been made.  Its like the OS goal is to run even assembler at VB rate through system managers.  But like they say, for every action there is a equal but opposite reaction.  No company or super-man will never control how the rivers flows or where lighting canl strikes no matter how deep one try to hide his bloated Kernel.

dedndave

i dunno - ms seems to be able to do as they please, and none of us can do much about it
intel has done things that make optimizing code more difficult, as well (they really sucked all the fun out of it - lol)
as programmers, we have to take the platform, as it exists, and make it do what we want it to
that means we are in a continuous learning cycle

BytePtr

Nice stuff, it makes coding in MASM even easier.

ic2

Good point dedndave.
I'm not 100& sure either.  Watch those video links above and pay special attention when Mark Russinovich speak about Win-Win and sub-sub Kernel and what he had to say about back in the day "there was NO real Kernel mode".  He's honest, but a little piss ... He wrote Process Explorer so he got good reasons i guest, but he get over it.  But he will give you a  darn good clue of what's going on with pass Windows and the future of Windows-7.  He was just like us yesterday.

jj_2007,
If you don't have time for FASM just yet, for now, I think  RichMasm should .. if possible have a customizable tool bar, or any kind of tool bar to at lease do some basic editing type stuff, like select all, find and find next, etc.  Not sure if that is possible because of the dialog style window  (that I thought was console) but I see it does makes coding in MASM even easier as BytePtr indicated.  I know that "Rome" was not build overnight, so don't think i'm not trying to rushi you.

jj2007

Quote from: ic2 on December 14, 2009, 08:55:26 PM
jj_2007,
If you don't have time for FASM just yet, for now, I think  RichMasm should .. if possible have a customizable tool bar, or any kind of tool bar to at lease do some basic editing type stuff, like select all, find and find next, etc.  Not sure if that is possible because of the dialog style window  (that I thought was console) but I see it does makes coding in MASM even easier as BytePtr indicated.  I know that "Rome" was not build overnight, so don't think i'm not trying to rushi you.
Ic2,
I am a bit lost: Are we talking about the same software? RichMasm (which is included in the MasmBasic package) has the most comfortable search functions you can imagine. Try Control F, then Control R, or even easier, select one of your variables and hit F3. If you don't see a listbox with the results, you might need to click on the stripes icon above "Find".
I am getting really curious. Can you send a screenshot of what you actually see, please?

hutch--

:bg

Why does this sound like the GFA basic editor of the middle 90s ?
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on December 14, 2009, 10:57:19 PM
:bg

Why does this sound like the GFA basic editor of the middle 90s ?

Hutch,
Although I have used the Gfa editor quite a lot, there is not much resemblance. Control F opens a find box in Ms Word, not in Gfa...
:wink

ic2

screenshots

>edit

Ok, now i 'm paying attention.  I like the way you got the find editbox ready to go and there is plenty of room to add more buttons to the right.  This is really difference.  I like it :)

jj2007

Quote from: ic2 on December 15, 2009, 03:20:26 AM
screenshots

Ok, I am relieved to see that we talk about the same software ;-)

Yes, my handling of the find box is different. That listbox is my favourite feature - select the global variable you are just working with, hit F3, and you got immediately the 10+ places in your 10,000 lines doc where you used MyGlobVar. Other use: Olly says you got an exception at mov eax, [esi]. Next line is sub eax, 3. You have 20 times mov eax, [esi], so that is not helpful. But type mov eax, [esi]**sub eax into the find box and you got it... One star means a same line joker, 2* means extend search to next line (note it will work only if there is one space between eax and [esi], otherwise [esi]**sub will do the job)

Re toolbar: There is a good reason why the buttons and bookmarks are on the right. Assembler code is vertical. Count the visible lines, and compare to other editors at same font size...

But I must admit that it is getting less user-friendly over time. The more I am working with it, the more it gets keyboard-oriented, and memorising a dozen function keys is not exactly noob-friendly. That is why WordStar and WordPerfect eventually lost against M$ ::)

2-Bit Chip

I will be using this now. Thank you.

dedndave

you could always add a right-click context menu with a bunch of typing shortcuts, JJ