Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition And 64-Bit Targets

Started by GregL, February 17, 2009, 10:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

It can be done,  I got it working.  :bg

Instructions are here:  http://jenshuebel.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/visual-c-2008-express-edition-and-64-bit-targets/

Thanks Jens.

If you are running on x64 Windows, read the whole thing before starting.  :wink

If you want to use ml64.exe, it amounts to making a copy of ml64.exe in the same directory, named ml.exe.

mitchi

They sure don't make it easy to produce native binaries with Express Versions of Visual Studio.

GregL

mitchi,

No, they sure don't.  It took quite an effort to get it working and now they (Microsoft) want me to install Windows 7 RC, and I will have to do it all over again.  :(  I'm going to wait until July 1, when the beta starts shutting down, to install to the RC.  I'm not sure I'll even mess with VC Express Edition, when Pelle's C is already set up and ready to go for x64.

mitchi

Heh.

As a student, I can use some MS products like Visual Studio for free (of course I can't go commercial with them).
Instead of using Express Versions of Visual Studio, why don't you install a Visual Studio beta?

GregL

mitchi,

QuoteInstead of using Express Versions of Visual Studio, why don't you install a Visual Studio beta?

I was under the impression the VS 2010 beta was only available as a VM for Virtual PC, and therefore limited to 32-bit. 

mitchi

GregL