News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Pelle's bad attitude

Started by ecube, January 05, 2009, 03:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecube

this was after japheth thanks him for poasm in the above post...I was considering trying out poasm as others have said it's decent but after reading that post and seeing how bad "pelle's" attitude is, I absolutely will never use poasm, or anything he makes, and now i'm more appreciative of jwasm.

japheth

Hi,

> I was considering trying out poasm ... but after reading that post and seeing how bad "pelle's" attitude is,
> I absolutely will never use poasm

you probably shouldn't punish PoAsm because Pelles did something which you didn't like. That's called "Sippenhaft" and is regarded as a "bad attitude".  :toothy

It should also be mentioned that Pelles did apologize after his post and second that he was partially right, IIRC. And finally, this event probably made me realize that there is no hope for PoAsm to become a Masm-compatible assembler ever and as a result, few weeks later the first - experimental - version of JWasm was born. So the effects of this "event" were quite positive, at last.

ecube

I'm glad this sparked the creation of jwasm, it's a great project and I don't need poasm, I hope hutch considers adding your project to masm32 instead of poasm in the next update as it's a far more suitable replacement. Thankyou for all of your hard work and I hope you continue to work on jwasm.

jdoe

POASM is a very good assembler and even though it is not fully compatible with MASM, it is possible to write source that both tools will assemble. Lots of artists were assholes, alcoholics, drug addicts, wife beater and so on, and not looking at their work can still be a great lost in a life.

The INCBIN directive is a good feature and was integrated into JWasm. Unfortunatly, the next great feature is CINCLUDE but that one didn't make its way through JWasm. For "compatibility" reason, japheth has decided that ONE of the TWO great features worth to be included. Shame on you   :wink

Vortex

E^cube,

I guess Japheth and Jdoe explained very well the situation. One can be a great poet but can have bad habits and a miserable life.

Poasm is a powerful tool and you can write code compatible with Jwasm\Masm if you avoid complex macros. As I understand, Pelle is more focused on the C compiler and it's this area where he will spend this time.

All of us we are thankful to Japheth as he's doing a very good job with Jwasm. I wish Pelle would continue with Poasm but chances are very very modest. His other tools Polink, Polib and Porc are also high quality products. New assemblers with new concepts are enriching our coding experience so we must be thankful to those people spending a lot of efforts to create those tools.

GregL

Quote from: jdoeLots of artists were assholes, alcoholics, drug addicts, wife beater and so on, and not looking at their work can still be a great lost in a life.
Quote from: VortexOne can be a great poet but can have bad habits and a miserable life.

Jeez you guys, everyone has a bad day now and then. Pelle has always seemed like a nice guy to me.

Poasm is a really good assembler. I hope he continues to improve it.

jdoe

Quote from: Greg on January 05, 2009, 09:58:51 PM
Jeez you guys, everyone has a bad day now and then. Pelle has always seemed like a nice guy to me.

Greg,

It was not meant to describe Pelle himself. But if he was a "bad guy", PoAsm would still worth looking at it.

hutch--

I think the workload factor has been overlooked, Pelle maintains a full suite of tools not just an assembler and just with a C compiler the world is changing fast and in inconsistent ways so just to maintain that he is doing a lot of work. I think from memory his work on POASM was so it could be used as a backend to a C compiler in much the same way as GCC and fortunately Pelle has made it an Intel compatible notation assembler so vast amounts of code can be used with it without translation.

Apart from the macro differences to MASM I have found POASM a well written reliable tool and were it the only assembler around I would happily use it as it generates good quality binary code when the source is written correctly.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

zemtex

Yes as Hutch said above, the tremendous pressure of having to maintain all that work is not healthy in the long term.

But there is also another factor involved, its not just the work. See, there is a socio psychological problem involved with computer programmers and computer programming.
When you sit in front of the computer all day, lose contact with fellow human beings you lose an important thing; You lose feedback from humans, nobody is stimulating your emotional intelligence anymore. Nobody is saying anything to hurt you, to cheer you up, whether it is good or bad, you dont get impulses anymore.

And when you finally get your butt off the chair and gets out, you have become a soft man with no tolerance of input from people. Simply because you are not used to it anymore, you take the simplest form of human input as an insult. You have become a sissy.

A Hobby like assembly has a prize, you have to balance social life and computer programming. Losing too much of the "outdoor-world" -impulses can be very damaging because you will not understand what people are telling you anymore. You'll be insulted for things that normal people dont get insulted from.

This is one reason why old programmer farts as sensitive pricks  :bdg
I have been puzzling with lego bricks all my life. I know how to do this. When Peter, at age 6 is competing with me, I find it extremely neccessary to show him that I can puzzle bricks better than him, because he is so damn talented that all that is called rational has gone haywire.