MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

GetOpenFileName - exception raised internally

Started by jdoe, December 09, 2008, 01:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdoe

Hi,

When I use GetOpenFileName, everything works fine but when I debug a program I can see that an exception is raised by GetOpenFileName. Windows is taking care of this exception obviously but am I to the only it occurs. My system is tweaked a little bit like many services disabled and few registry modifications (documented ones).

I've lost time on this because I thought it was my BrowseForFile function that was the cause but luck for me, it is not.

sinsi

Quote from: jdoe on December 09, 2008, 01:33:58 AMbut am I to the only it occurs.

And I thought I could get incoherent...hic... :U
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

jdoe

Yeah it's weird   :red

I meant... Does it happens just to me.

Maybe still poor english but it's the best I can do    :P

sinsi

Some code post, then, Yoda. Help you we can. In abundance have you English.
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

jdoe

Don't need to post code. Take any program in the examples of MASM32 which use GetOpenFileName, run the program into ollydbg, put a breakpoint to a call of GetOpenFileName and step with F7 or F8. Bang !!!

\MASM32\examples\exampl02\showdib

:bdg

Tedd

Exceptions are used internally to signal various conditions, some of which may not necessarily be errors that need to cause explosions :wink So they're caught internally and handled to cause the correct thing to happen. Exceptions are only thrown back when they can't/shouldn't be handled internally, to give them a chance to be handled further up, if not handled they eventually reach the top level and you get "Your program caused an exception. DIE DIE DIE!"
If you don't see it when not debugging, then it's not a problem :P
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

jdoe

It's the first time that, while debuging a program, I see this kind of exception. So it is normal that it occurs internally in Windows. It's nice to know. Looks like I "arrive in town".

Thanks Tedd

Vortex

Jdoe,

What's the service pack level of your OS?

jdoe